Tube Rolling w/Crack

Dr. Toobz · 753379

Offline howzz1854

Reply #1440 on: September 01, 2016, 06:02:51 PM
guys..

what's the difference between a Tungsol 6080wb and a Bendix 6080wb
based on this listing, there' s a HUGE price difference.
http://vacuumtubes.net/RES%20Audio%20pages/6080.html

few months ago i bought a Tungsol 6080wb slotted graphite tube from a head-fi forum member and i thought i got a great deal. please see the attached three pictures. and to be frank, it sounded better than the stocker Sylvania 6080wb that came with the amp. the tube clearly has the markings on the bottom metal part of Tungsol 6080 on it. and it's graphite column with slotted hole in the middle. 

but now i am seeing this huge price difference between the red lettering Bendix 6080wb on the glass slotted tube vs the TS 6080 slotted tube i got. did i buy the wrong tube? i thought all Tungsol 6080 are the same as Bendix 6080 they're just rebranded. but why the huge price difference.

and here is a picture of the supposed Red lettering Bendix 6080 graphite tube that's so expensive.

Xonar Essence STX >> Schiit Bifrost >> Bottlehead Crack (TS 7236/RCA 5963) >> HD800s

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #1441 on: September 01, 2016, 11:59:17 PM
guys..

what's the difference between a Tungsol 6080wb and a Bendix 6080wb
based on this listing, there' s a HUGE price difference.
http://vacuumtubes.net/RES%20Audio%20pages/6080.html

few months ago i bought a Tungsol 6080wb slotted graphite tube from a head-fi forum member and i thought i got a great deal. please see the attached three pictures. and to be frank, it sounded better than the stocker Sylvania 6080wb that came with the amp. the tube clearly has the markings on the bottom metal part of Tungsol 6080 on it. and it's graphite column with slotted hole in the middle. 

but now i am seeing this huge price difference between the red lettering Bendix 6080wb on the glass slotted tube vs the TS 6080 slotted tube i got. did i buy the wrong tube? i thought all Tungsol 6080 are the same as Bendix 6080 they're just rebranded. but why the huge price difference.

and here is a picture of the supposed Red lettering Bendix 6080 graphite tube that's so expensive.

Your Tungsol slotted graphite plate was made by Bendix and is essentially the same tube but the Bendix red bank printed tubes are just a bit more sought after because of the Bendix print branding .

From what I have been able to gather pretty much all the graphite column 6080 tubes (there are many variations of shape and size) irrespective of branding were manufactured by Bendix.

Many of the commonly sought after premium priced tubes can often be found with different branding or code designation for substantially less than the more commonly sought after but identical tube.

Don’t be caught out by The $35 6AS7G Mullard that is on the list as it is most probably a rebranded Svetlana 6H13 (Mullard didnt make a 6AS7G as far as I am aware) and while they sound ok they can be found for under $10 new on ebay with a world wide search. They have been turning up more and more with  premium  branding with some sellers asking $100 or more so watch out and be sure to do some homework on potential purchases.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline howzz1854

Reply #1442 on: September 02, 2016, 07:28:46 AM
Your Tungsol slotted graphite plate was made by Bendix and is essentially the same tube but the Bendix red bank printed tubes are just a bit more sought after because of the Bendix print branding .

From what I have been able to gather pretty much all the graphite column 6080 tubes (there are many variations of shape and size) irrespective of branding were manufactured by Bendix.

Many of the commonly sought after premium priced tubes can often be found with different branding or code designation for substantially less than the more commonly sought after but identical tube.

Don’t be caught out by The $35 6AS7G Mullard that is on the list as it is most probably a rebranded Svetlana 6H13 (Mullard didnt make a 6AS7G as far as I am aware) and while they sound ok they can be found for under $10 new on ebay with a world wide search. They have been turning up more and more with  premium  branding with some sellers asking $100 or more so watch out and be sure to do some homework on potential purchases.

thanks JamieMcC, THIS is so helpful. thank you so much!

Xonar Essence STX >> Schiit Bifrost >> Bottlehead Crack (TS 7236/RCA 5963) >> HD800s

Offline howzz1854

Reply #1443 on: September 03, 2016, 03:09:46 PM
i can't seem to find any reviews on this online retailer Vacuum Tube Superstore http://vacuumtubesuperstore.com/tung-sol.html

has anyone bought anything from them? is it trust worthy or no. good experience?

Offline Chris65

Reply #1444 on: September 03, 2016, 09:46:25 PM
That place is not a store, it is just some sort of link-through site - all the listings come from Ebay.

Offline howzz1854

Reply #1445 on: September 07, 2016, 01:43:01 PM
Guys... is this TS 5998 legit? it's got the domino plate and says 5998 on the glass. the price doesn't look outrageous.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262613766755?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

but it says Gold Aero and not Tung Sol. some say that TS is the only manufacture for domino plate 5998.

any thoughts?

i am just wondering if this is the same famed TS 5998 and if i should get it. 

Offline Feilong4

Reply #1446 on: October 10, 2016, 02:47:31 PM
I have a Heintz and Kaufman 5998 tube, and I read that the Tung Sol 5998 is overall the "best" tube for the Bottlehead Crack w/speedball.

Also, are the 5998 tubes from Heintz and Kaufman and Tung Sol essentially the same tube, or does the different manufacturers mean that there may be some sound differences?

I don't see much info on the Heintz and Kaufman 5998 tube (with a quick google search), so I would like to know what's the general consensus on them.

Offline Rhok

I may be ill-informed, but all of my research that I've done regarding the 5998 states the true "domino plate" 5998's were ALL manufactured by Tung-Sol, so anything else is just a re-branding.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Heintz & Kaufman were in South San Francisco in the 30's an 40s, specializing in making tubes with tantalum plates called Gammatrons. Some of you may have seen a 24-G Gammatron I posted on instagram a while back. Bill Eitel and Jack McCullough who formed another Bay Area tube manufacturer with the Eimac brand name, both worked there before starting their company.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIX8Cb8BpBo/?taken-by=bottleheadaudio
Kaufman left H&K in 1946 to start Lewis and Kaufman, and H&K became known as a reseller.  So I would also guess that the Heintz & Kaufman 5998 is a rebrand.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Great info!  Thanks Dan!

Aaron Johnson

Offline attmci

I may be ill-informed, but all of my research that I've done regarding the 5998 states the true "domino plate" 5998's were ALL manufactured by Tung-Sol, so anything else is just a re-branding.

This?

https://tubeworldexpress.com/collections/power-tubes/products/copy-of-best-5998-5998-tungsol-black-plates-1950s-rebranded-heintz-and-kaufman-nos-gm-8250-5000-and-8750-5000

Sure they are re-branded 5998.

Offline Feilong4

Heintz & Kaufman were in South San Francisco in the 30's an 40s, specializing in making tubes with tantalum plates called Gammatrons. Some of you may have seen a 24-G Gammatron I posted on instagram a while back. Bill Eitel and Jack McCullough who formed another Bay Area tube manufacturer with the Eimac brand name, both worked there before starting their company.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIX8Cb8BpBo/?taken-by=bottleheadaudio [nofollow]
Kaufman left H&K in 1946 to start Lewis and Kaufman, and H&K became known as a reseller.  So I would also guess that the Heintz & Kaufman 5998 is a rebrand.

Thanks for the information!

This?

https://tubeworldexpress.com/collections/power-tubes/products/copy-of-best-5998-5998-tungsol-black-plates-1950s-rebranded-heintz-and-kaufman-nos-gm-8250-5000-and-8750-5000 [nofollow]

Sure they are re-branded 5998.

That's the one I got. Might it be time for a new tube if one channel starts to make static-like noises? I have other tubes and can say that only my H&K 5998 tube has this problem.

Offline Bacci

Reply #1452 on: October 23, 2016, 11:10:46 PM
Tung-Sol 5998 at 108$, tested as new:

http://tctubes.com/Tung-Sol-JAN-5998.aspx

Only 1 left, be quick!

Offline attmci

Thanks for the information!

That's the one I got. Might it be time for a new tube if one channel starts to make static-like noises? I have other tubes and can say that only my H&K 5998 tube has this problem.

How many H&K 5998 tubes do you have? All have issues?

Offline Tom-s

Reply #1454 on: November 29, 2016, 09:44:14 AM
I've used the search and google but can't find anyone using the ECC40's (= E80CC with rimlock base, needs adapter).
If used, how are your results with these tubes in Crack?