Tube Rolling w/Crack

Dr. Toobz · 753359

Offline JLDub

Reply #1770 on: June 21, 2018, 04:22:09 AM
Thank you sir. Appreciate the low down and the links!

Offline JLDub

Reply #1771 on: June 21, 2018, 06:04:06 AM
How can you tell that one of those is a GE in the second listing?

Offline Tom-s

Reply #1772 on: June 21, 2018, 06:17:18 AM
Factory code 188 corresponds with GE (on the right tube).

Offline JLDub

Reply #1773 on: June 21, 2018, 06:20:25 AM
Oh I see. Thanks!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1774 on: June 21, 2018, 06:29:36 AM
GE tubes often times also have acid etched dots on the glass.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline JLDub

Reply #1775 on: June 21, 2018, 06:54:26 AM
Gotcha! Good to know for future reference. So I picked up the 3 from your link. Hopefully 1/3 is in good shape! Seemed too good to pass up. I also JUST managed to get a Tung-Sol 6AS7G from vacuumtubes.net Super exciting!! Thanks for the assistance everyone, I'm ready to roll!! :P

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1776 on: June 21, 2018, 02:33:51 PM
I also JUST managed to get a Tung-Sol 6AS7G from vacuumtubes.net
He is a very good vendor.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline JLDub

Reply #1777 on: June 21, 2018, 02:38:48 PM
 :D yeah I really enjoyed talking to him. Super knowledgeable and would definitely do business with again. Very nice guy!

Offline attmci

Reply #1778 on: June 23, 2018, 11:34:54 AM
:D yeah I really enjoyed talking to him. Super knowledgeable and would definitely do business with again. Very nice guy!

Let's know which do you prefer. The Winged "C" or GE 6080. :)

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #1779 on: June 27, 2018, 09:28:03 AM
WOW! See? Exactly what I'm talking about! I have rarely come across such generosity on the internet! Thanks a ton L0rdGwyn! Unfortunately I posted this and fell asleep so it looks like someone else already beat me to the punch LOL. Sucks because that would've been right up my alley. Again, thanks a lot!

I am currently checking stock with another tube dealer that seems to actually have stock at decent prices, although I'm not expecting much... probably too good to be true...

This post is what got me started and the info you were sharing about Tung-Sol/Chatham and the different models definitely lines up! https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/bottlehead-crack.120/page-3 scroll down a but for 6AS7G.

No problem, sorry you didn't get to it in time, shame on whoever did!  Glad you got your hands on a TS 6080.  Never knew those Stromberg-Carlson's were manufactured by TS, I've been interested in getting one, I'll have to keep an eye out myself :)

Keenan McKnight

Offline JLDub

Reply #1780 on: June 27, 2018, 05:20:40 PM
Thanks again! The 3 Stromberg Carlson 6080s from eBay arrived the other day. I'm going to contact a local dealer that has the equipment to test tubes here in Raleigh. Going to make sure they are in good shape. They definitely look NOS and unused but I bought them untested so I want to be sure. I'll probably see if he wants to buy 2 of 3 off me if they test well since he could easily sell them as a pair on his eBay store. I could totally hold on to one for you if you want! They are hard to come by at a decent price :\ I don't want much for them since I got such a good deal on them! Just let me know. The Chatham 6AS7G arrived from vacuumtubes.net the other day too! So between those and my stock winged "c", I'm all rounded out! Thanks again everyone for the help.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1781 on: June 27, 2018, 05:39:00 PM
You don't need to find anyone with a tube tester. Plug them in your Crack and measure the voltages. If they are good, the tube is good.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JLDub

Reply #1782 on: June 27, 2018, 06:03:55 PM
Got it Doc! That's good to know. My only reasoning was it may be a bit before I get everything wired up so it will be quicker for me to run by his shop. Plus it would give me a good excuse to chat and peddle the extra tubes to make some money back :D
I just finished getting paint, stain, polyurethane, sand paper, etc etc for the base and aluminum plate. I'm foaming at the mouth here LOL. Now if only I could squeeze a few extra hours out of the day...

Offline InnerTube

Reply #1783 on: June 29, 2018, 12:10:07 PM
This configuration is a bit unwieldy, but the sound to my ears is as good as I have ever heard.  While it takes two adapters to work the results is well worth the effort.  The Tung-Sol 6F8G/6C8G is the best and it works well with the Crack and Speedball.   I have tried other brands of the tube that do no coexist well with the Speedball.  However, I also have a Crack without the Speedball and the tube sounded great without the Speedball.  Go figure.  It would take better minds than mine to figure that out.  The 6F8G and 6C8G are still relatively inexpensive, however, they seem to increase in price every day.

Good Listening

Innertube (John Spain)
[email protected]

Offline Rossputin

Reply #1784 on: June 30, 2018, 10:57:32 AM
Hello folks,

A couple of quick questions for you...or maybe not so quick:

1.  If I'm going to mess around with tube rolling for my Crack (with Speedball), would the 12AU7 be a higher priority than the 6080?

2. What's the deal with "vintage" tubes? Is a tube from the 1950s or '60s likely to sound different than a new tube, and if so is that because of difference in manufacturing, or difference that occur with age? I kinda like the idea of a tube made in the same year I was born (mid-'60s)...

3. On eBay plenty of sellers note test values for tubes.  What exactly are those and how should I think about them?

4. Are there any brands of tubes out there for which there is a consensus (something which seems generally to be absent in almost every part of the fascinating discussions on these topics) that they are either A) among the best and should be sought out or B) to be avoided? Related: Are there particular countries of tube manufacture that are thought to be uniformly superior or inferior as far as tube quality?  (For example, I've seen plenty of positive mention of Tung Sol.)

5. I see that some substitutes for the 12AU7 are tubes that are "military spec", which seem particularly to be designed to handle frequent power on/off cycles and maybe have some other tighter tolerances. I like that idea, because I do tend to turn the Crack on and off at least once most days of the week. But is that "mil spec" really something worth seeking out?

6. I realize this is a "Coke vs Pepsi vs RC" question, meaning there isn't a "right answer" but what's YOUR favorite replacement for a 12AU7 in a Crack and why? (Feel free to answer for the 6080 as well!)

Thanks in advance for your insights and advice!

Ross in Colorado