Recent Posts

Eros Phono / Re: What tubes are people using these days?
« Last post by Doc B. on Yesterday at 12:29:13 PM »
IME the best price/performance are the eastern European tubes we supply with the kits. To go very far beyond that performance-wise you start to get into spendy Telefunken, Amperex, Siemens and Mullard types. To go up appreciably from the stock tubes in terms of sonics I typically end up with Tele EF806s and an Amperex 7308 or Telefunken E88CC. They are very spendy these days. Tungsram 6922s are nice and not too spendy.
Eros Phono / What tubes are people using these days?
« Last post by dhherring on Yesterday at 11:50:44 AM »
Looking to roll some tubes in my original Eros, and am wondering what EF86's and 6922's are being used these days.

Especially interested in the best price/performance from the tubes that are currently available (given the insane $$$ some of these things are going for).

Thanks!

Don
Crack / Re: Volume mod combined left and right channels (and sounds weird)
« Last post by Deluk on Yesterday at 01:25:09 AM »
Yup you need one resistor for each channel. "one 33K resistor between each outer pair of lugs on each level of the volume pot and the ground lugs on the pot"
Mainline / Re: IERC Tube Shields without Bases
« Last post by Art Andrews on May 07, 2024, 06:50:35 AM »
Thanks, Doc. Ordered both!
Mainline / Re: IERC Tube Shields without Bases
« Last post by Doc B. on May 07, 2024, 05:22:41 AM »
The IERC shields fit over the same bayonet base as the standard shields that come with the kit. You might be able to find someone selling only the standard bayonet bases. I don't have any suggestions for a seller but I imagine a search will turn up someone. I have a ton of IERC shields of different sizes but no bases. In fact I would love to sell the whole pile to someone who might want to sell them on eBay. I used to make up sets of them for Collins R-390A receivers and get $70 a throw. But I don't really have the time or inclination anymore.
Crack / Re: Low voltage on T7 & T9 during transformer secondary test
« Last post by paultc on May 07, 2024, 03:19:37 AM »
Paul Joppa,

Thanks. Problem solved base on your input.  I must have accidentally tested it initially using T8 (ground) and T7. With the proper T7 to T9 connection I get 6.6VAC. Good to go.

Sometime it takes a fresh set of eyes to figure out the obvious.

Best regards,

Paul TC
Kaiju Stereo 300B amp / Re: driver testing
« Last post by joralieu on May 06, 2024, 04:43:50 PM »
CS4 jumpers look good to me and don't see any obvious miswires or broken wires, checked them for continuity. Any clues where else I could look?  It is probably something simple , just not finding it.
Crack / Re: Volume mod combined left and right channels (and sounds weird)
« Last post by loadexfa on May 06, 2024, 03:26:00 PM »
From looking more into this, it appears I need a second 33K resistor: https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=6982.0

I think the FAQ should clearly state that two 33k resistors are needed, I did not get that from this sentence: "Attach and solder one 33K resistor between each outer pair of lugs on each level of the volume pot and the ground lugs on the pot."

I attached one 33K resistor to all of the lugs indicated. I assume that is the reason for my issue?
Crack / Volume mod combined left and right channels (and sounds weird)
« Last post by loadexfa on May 06, 2024, 03:01:13 PM »
I think I followed the FAQ correctly and installed the two 75k resistors and one 33k. After installing them (and passing all resistance and voltage checks), the volume pot has more room as expected. But the music sounded off, especially the staging. When I removed one RCA input, I still heard the same music from both left and right channels in my headphones. I took a pic of my mod and the bags for the resistors to confirm I used the correct ones.

Mainline / IERC Tube Shields without Bases
« Last post by Art Andrews on May 06, 2024, 01:42:56 PM »
I recently purchased an unfinished Mainline kit from a friend. It has most components but does not have the 9-pin shields/shield bases (it does have the 9-pin connectors) for the two large tubes. In researching these, several people mentioned IERC tube shields, and even Doc B. mentioned them.

Since I don't have the shields with the kit, are the IERCs a good alternative?

I see sets on eBay, but there are no bases, and my searches have turned up no bases.

I saw a post (here: https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=10405) in which Doc B. says, "If a shield isn't grounded, it's not shielding."

Does that mean IERC shields, as I am finding them, without bases, shouldn't be used?