Assortments of solder lugs, star washers, etc.?

Jim R. · 4927

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: December 09, 2009, 02:01:45 AM
I never seem to have enough of the right size solder lugs, star washers, etc. and was wondering if anybody knew of a decent assortment box that had these kinds of things in various sizes from #4 to #10 or 1/4-20?  Crimp sleeves too would be helpful.

Just tired of buying onezies/twozies at the local electronics supply house which seems to specialize in finding the grumpiest, least helpful salespeople in the business.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 04:21:40 AM
I bought one of these in the early 80s.  It saved me many trips to the hardware store.  I have now bought a second one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42263

Only the "135 machine screws, 16 machine bolts, 210 nuts, 210 washers, 245 split washers" will be applicable but the price is right.

No affiliation, just a customer.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:29:16 AM
That looks like a useful assortment, but not really what I'm looking for.  I'm looking for the solder tabs, small, thin star washers, etc. that are used for grounding, etc.

May pick one of these assortments up anyway as I have use for just about everything in there but cotter pins, and you never know when you'll need one of those either.

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 04:39:28 AM
I guess the answer is to buy a quantity of grounding lugs and throw out something in the Harbor Freight assortment to use that tray.

Hey, want some cotter pins?  I just haven't used any in 25 years.  I could empty those trays.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 04:52:00 AM
Thanks, but no need for cotter pins here either.  I say that and watch, sometime in the next week I'll need one for the first time in 20 years :-).

I have a couple of those plastic drawer storage units around, so maybe I'll just order bunches from mouser or somebody like that and put my own together.  I need some glue-lined heatshrink anyway, and I'm probably a few parts short on another project, so maybe it's worth placing a larger order.  Just hate ordering one or two little things at a time from these guys as you often end up paying more for shipping, etc.

-- Jim

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 05:20:59 AM
I have never really seen an assortment of those parts.  You will probably have to buy 50-100 of each and sort out your own box... 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 05:25:34 AM
Paul,

Yes, after spending a lot of time googling around it seems that they don't exist as such, and none of the usual suspects seem to have them, that's why I thought I'd ask here, figuring that if something like this did exist, somebody here would know about it.

-- Jim

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 05:37:31 AM
Jim,

What I meant was you cold buy a box, from Home Depot if they sell them, then put then in with the screw assortment.

Big suppliers like Digi-key, Jameco, Mouser or Newark might have boxes of these items.  Just an impression, not really knowledge.