any experience with Mundorf MTube caps

Japhy · 4991

Offline Japhy

on: July 27, 2010, 09:15:25 AM
Hi everyone....
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Mundorf MTube caps in their power supplies.  Was thinking about giving them a whirl in my S.E.X. amp in the near future.

Cheers!

Offline ssssly

Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 04:19:43 PM
Haven't used the MTubes but I have used several of the other MLytics with good enough results that I bought more of them. I prefer motor runs for power supplies but when space doesn't allow the Mlytics sound very good in a much smaller form factor. As a matter of fact have a MLytic for the 10000uf and am quite happy with it.

Give them a whirl and report back with how they sound.

Offline Japhy

Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 09:55:39 AM
Well....I've given them some time to break in and me likey.  Richer sound.  The bigger improvement was putting in a couple ASC 50uF caps for the B+ power supply caps.  Just did this last night and am amazed.  Took what seemed to be a more forward sound that seemed somewhat narrow in depth and really allowed you to place instruments in a room...more 3D.  A little smoother retaining lots of detail.  Voices are amazing.

The last step will be to upgrade the iron to which I say....if it is this good now, I'm really interested in where we go from here.

Offline ToolGuyFred

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 01:10:00 AM
I used have some no-name polypropylene film & foils in my Parasex amps, 10uF after the rectifier and 15uF after the choke: these were fine for years with my 93db World Audio Design Speakers.

When I upgraded to Lowthers (97db) the power supply hum became audible so I swapped the 15uFs to some 47uF Mundorf Tube Caps. In comparison to the fast film and foils they sounded clouded and muddy. Wasn't at all impressed, even after some running in. Found some 1uF film and foils in my bits bin and strapped them across the Mundorfs - then the sound snapped back into focus.

I would really have liked a pair of Black Gates (space is too limited for 47uF film & foil) but I abandoned the search after a few weeks. (Anyone know why they stopped making them? There still seems to be the demand.)

Sorry, back to the topic. Yes, I'd recommend the Mundorf caps but only with a little help from something "faster".

John
Amateur Audiophile and Backstreet Boffin.
Original Foreplay with C4S + Sweet Whispers
ParaSEX amps with MQ nickel-cored outputs
Factory-built Lowther Acousta 115s with silver-coiled DX3s, wired in DNM solid-core
KEF active sub (help for the last couple of octaves).
Bottlehead DAC on batteries.