Getting Better Computer Audio: BitPerfct.app

williaty · 5330

Offline williaty

on: August 16, 2011, 08:34:43 PM
A few months ago, I switched to using a USB DAC (HRT MusicStreamer II+) as my primary source. Fed from my MacBook Pro, sometimes the results were absolutely stunning and sometimes the results were absolutely stunningly bad. It seemed that the audio could be great one day and horrible a few hours later.I spent a couple of weeks trying to figure out what the hell was going wrong with my system. I tried every hardware remedy I could think of to no avail. It turns out that many things go on behind the scenes in your computer that can dramatically affect the final quality of your music. When the stars, I was getting good audio. If I had used the wrong combination of apps, played the wrong video, etc, the audio system could end up configured in a way that made it sound terrible. Finally, out of curiosity, one night I found people talking about a small application called BetterSound. I downloaded, I installed, I was amazed.

BitPerfect.app (the final name under which the product was released) is small companion/helper program for iTunes. BitPerfect functions like a bodyguard for your music. It make sure that the music comes out of iTunes and makes it all the way to your USB DAC without getting harassed, mugged, or lost along the way. The differences in the audio output can be tremendous. I say "can be" because the output from BitPerfect is slightly better than the best I ever heard without it yet MUCH better than the average that I heard before using it. It is, in fact, very, very good audio. Best of all, it's the same every time you listen, regardless of what other things your computer might be up to at the time. Additionally, it also provides the big (to me) benefit of being able to route your music over your USB DAC while still letting the system sounds play out of whatever output they normally use. I very much appreciate no longer hearing new mail or IM alerts being played over my music!

BitPerfect is quite easy to use. When you start it, it starts iTunes for you. The first time you use it, you have to tell BitPerfect what output to use (your USB DAC) and you can configure some options about how to send data to your DAC. After that, start it and forget it whenever you want to listen to music. You still use iTunes just like you always have for organization, track selection, etc but BitPerfect is there in the background making sure your audio always sounds its best.

BitPerfect is available in the Mac App Store and, for $4.99 is kind of a no-brainer. Absolute win.

Offline mrarroyo

Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:15:34 AM
Thanks for the information, I read a bit on this app in HF. My question pertains to using it with various DAC's. I have three DAC's currently connected to an iMac, of course I only use one at any time. Two of the DAC's are fed via USB while the 3rd is fed via an optical cable. Will I have to re-set BitPerfect every time I switch from one DAC to another. I normally only use one DAC per listening session. Thanks.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 02:26:32 AM
Anything like this for PC?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline John Roman

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 03:18:05 AM
2nd that!
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline williaty

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:12:51 AM
Thanks for the information, I read a bit on this app in HF. My question pertains to using it with various DAC's. I have three DAC's currently connected to an iMac, of course I only use one at any time. Two of the DAC's are fed via USB while the 3rd is fed via an optical cable. Will I have to re-set BitPerfect every time I switch from one DAC to another. I normally only use one DAC per listening session. Thanks.
Yes, when you want to change DACs, you'll have to go into BP's settings and select the DAC you wish to use. I don't see any way around that with any software, though.

Offline mrarroyo

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 12:32:40 PM
Ok.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 04:38:22 PM
I am a firm believer that there can be quite a variability with sound quality with computer based digital audio. IMO USB has a bit to go in the reach for "bit perfect" and more importantly jitter free digital data transfer.

I locked on with Ethernet data transfer protocol via the Squeezebox Transporter. I can sleep at night with that. Jitter tests very well, bit perfect etc. Getting the bits "cleanly" to the DAC is only stage one though. The main benefit IMO to computer based digital audio is how the bits can be "massaged" before they even leave the PC/MAC. This is most definitely one of those areas where YMWV. Depending on the DAC and how it handles/up/oversamples etc. I have found that up/oversampling the redbook to 24/96 and playing with the "filters" can make a real difference (at least with the AK4396 in the Transporter). The Transporter does not up/oversample high res. digital input. I use foobar to upsample  with SOX with the passband at 95% and the phase at minimum (0%). Pre-ring is all but eliminated at a minimum phase. IMO pre-ring is one of the "irritants" in digital playback that contributes to "digititis", along with jitter. Other filters can also be applied, like smart clipping. Fun stuff!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Yoder

Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 08:45:38 AM
The main benefit IMO to computer based digital audio is how the bits can be "massaged" before they even leave the PC/MAC.

Another advantage of computer audio is that if you use error correction when burning the files, then all is well when they are played back. Whereas with a CD player error correction must take place during real-time, and thus has the potential of degrading the audio quality.

Seems that there are a lot of different tastes here. Some prefer USB and some don't, while others like Ethernet. Personally, I prefer Firewire and optical, and look forward to the day when Thunderbolt becomes the standard.