Multichannel

xcortes · 4858

Offline xcortes

on: May 01, 2012, 02:21:04 PM
How would one "strip" a multichannel digital signal to use DACs like the upcoming BH's one?

Are there players that output different channels through different spdif's? An hdmi to audio interface?

Of course full 24/192 would be ideal to take advantage of DVD-A or Bluray capabilities.

And of course three BH DACs would be needed. Methinks.

Xavier Cortes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 03:58:45 PM
John thinks that we could indeed use three BH DACs to decode 5.1 surround. That may not be available right at the start.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Yoder

Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 02:11:07 PM

Are there players that output different channels through different spdif's? An hdmi to audio interface?

It may not be possible with the current licensing agreement: "The HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) license agreement allows copy-protected data on the HDMI input to pass only to the HDMI output."

Though I have seen some HDMI to analog output "splitters" so that you can play it on active monitors (seems to contradict the above) http://www.motu.com/video-products/hd-express-hdmi/features/audio-io.html

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 11:36:26 AM
Do any DAC's using HDMI for input?  Might be interesting to explore...

Offline John Swenson

Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:10:04 PM
The way multi-channel would work is through USB, specifically USB Audio C lass 2 (UAC2) which uses high speed mode and supports multi-channel. Your player software would see a multi-channel DAC, it's up to you to configure the player to get what you want on the  correct channel.

UAC2 is NOT going to be part of the base DAC version, to do it right increases the cost and it would  not fit in the packaging scheme we have come up with. So it's going to be an add on box  developed at some date after the base unit is released. (note the ambiguity).

We've been working hard to maintain the Bottlehead philosophy of  upgrade rather than throw away and get the new version. The idea being that the base unit can be extended in many different ways without obsoleting it.  (I'm looking forward to the nixie tube display!)

John S.

John Swenson
DAC designer
Well Tempered Record player -> Seduction
Moded Squeezebox->DIY DAC
BDT preamp->813 monster SE amp
DIY "Bazooka" Lowther speakers

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 04:48:13 PM
Yes, Nixie tube display will be awesome.  This company makes some pretty cool Nixie clocks FYI  http://store.tubeclock.com/index.php/nixie-tube-clocks/clocks

I like the solid metal housing ones.

Offline rif

Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 02:27:45 AM
Please help me understand...is this for a home theater application? Wouldn't you need some kind of license from dolby or dts?

--David

-david

Offline Yoder

Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 06:57:05 AM
Please help me understand...is this for a home theater application? Wouldn't you need some kind of license from dolby or dts?

--David

As I understand it you do need a license, but since they are hard to monitor you can only get HDMI to play through HDMI or analog outputs. I have searched, but not fond anything that allows one to convert a HDMI signal to digital and/or break it into separate channels...unless analog.

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 04:17:41 PM
Im interested in a 5.1 system down the line.  I am guessing five Paramounts would be the best result for driving such a system, but is there another configuration of amps I could use which would be less costly?  I already own one S.E.X. 2.1 amp and it would be nice if I could continue building my 5.1 system from the amp I already own.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 04:37:10 PM
As I understand it, it is widely accepted that the side channels do not really need to be full range - 100Hz to 6kHz is not unreasonable. And the fronts should dominate the loudness. This sounds like a good place to use small wide range drivers in small boxes, and modest (2-watt?) amps.

I'm sure there are enthusiasts who will tell me I'm all wrong on this ...

Paul Joppa

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 04:53:45 PM
I'm thinking of using the Orca Speakers plus Sub for the 5.1.  Just curious if anyone on the forums has built a multi-channel bottlehead system and would be able to share their results...

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 05:31:36 AM
Clark and I are working on a 5.1 setup for my HT using Orcas/sub and probably Stereomours. Stay tuned...

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 06:56:20 AM
I use five Paramours with MQ iron (060 Ni) and five Pi Pro Four speakers plus a Revel sub. I'm ideatic so I wouldn't use different amps/speakers for the different positions. Of course I wouldn't use 3" drivers either. Having six 15" woofers in a tiny room is awesome. The speakers basically work fullrange and the sub picks up below 40 hz plus the LFE channel.

I hope someday digital multichannel audio will be listenable and my system will be ready. In the meantime it does movies with authority, detail and emotion (there's no substitute for SET amps when listening to a dialogue).

Xavier Cortes

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 04:37:47 PM
When I think of multichannel DAC I think of Oppo. IMO nobody does it better, for the bucks that is!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 05:20:14 PM
Have to agree with Earwaxer on the Oppo. I have had my Oppo 95 for a couple of years now, and love it, though wishing I'd anticipated the 105.