Taking orders :)

xcortes · 108463

Offline Chris

Reply #405 on: August 16, 2014, 08:18:01 PM
Good idea... to just sell them built....

Offline Grainger49

Reply #406 on: August 17, 2014, 02:08:14 AM
As long as I have been slinging solder I would not touch a SMD. 

Dan, I think you, all, have made a good decision.

Online denti alligator

Reply #407 on: August 17, 2014, 02:46:24 AM
Well, it's good to hear this will still be happening. I've been talking it up so much around the house that my son now goes around talking about it. He's 6. He calls it the "king of the Bottleheads" or the "king of the DACs."

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Superdad

Reply #408 on: August 21, 2014, 09:41:03 AM
Just wanted to report that I had a chance to spend a couple of hours listening to the most current pre-production version (V4) of the BH DAC board at my house this past Saturday when John Swenson came up to visit and test various things out in my system.  Mostly we were experimenting with some DSD-only DAC prototypes fed by Audirvana Plus or HQ Player, but we also spent time enjoying the BH DAC (powered by my UpTone JS-2 choke-filtered LPS).  It functioned perfectly, and we listened to a wider array of tracks than we had time during the prior session (the one where we tuned the SRC filters for loading into the FPGA).

It sounded glorious!  Much better than I remembered.  My system has improved some since last time (Swenson designed Linear Fan Controller in my new 2012 i7 Mac mini; Supra USB cable driving the BH, etc.), so that might account for it.  Every genre: jazz, classical, folk, rock--subtle or bombastic--rendered in perfect proportion, with detail, tactile musicality, and emotion.
When Doc and company get this baby into production you will be hard pressed to match this sound for anywhere near the price.

Cheers,

Alex Crespi
UpTone Audio LLC
Mariposa, California

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #409 on: August 27, 2014, 07:48:51 AM
We have our latest board up and running too. I have been using it to work on some recordings I made that I have transferred from tape to high res, and it's sounding very good. We are thinking that we can sell the DAC ready to run with wall wart power for a price pretty close to the original kit price goal. We are also thinking that we will offer an outboard battery-with-self-contained-charger power supply upgrade as a separate kit. This should reduce any risk of the DAC owner blowing up a very expensive mother board due to miswiring or other construction error yet it still gives everyone a chance to DIY a kit that is related to the DAC.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #410 on: August 27, 2014, 09:26:46 AM
Dan, thanks for the update. I'm back inboard with this project!

Aaron Johnson

Offline Grainger49

Reply #411 on: August 27, 2014, 10:57:04 AM
Excellent solution.

Offline pdxgrampa

Reply #412 on: August 27, 2014, 11:37:42 AM
Will the DAC still be a kickstarter project?

Greg
Music Hall 5.1SE,EROS. OPPO 980HD, Music Hall 25.3 Dac. BeePre/BeeQuiet. Paramount V1.1 300B,Orca Deluxe W/ Subs/SPA250s.Stereomour W/Orca Deluxe. Crack W/Speeball(2) .Beyerdynamic 990s.Crackheadphone.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #413 on: September 07, 2014, 06:53:36 AM
Any updates sir?

Aaron Johnson

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #414 on: September 07, 2014, 07:50:12 AM
PB has been working on the new cabinet layout. We plan to test a couple of different cabs and the second one is not here yet.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #415 on: September 12, 2014, 12:18:07 PM
Second cabinet arrived this week. PB is working up the design for the end panels. I have begun to lay plans to take the DAC to 1340 Mission once it is complete. There we can compare with some Pacific Microsonics Model 2s and some other studio quality D/As.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #416 on: September 12, 2014, 12:32:26 PM
End panels?   Is PB doing some alloy panel origami on this one?

M.McCandless

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #417 on: September 12, 2014, 01:21:40 PM
The cabinet is a rectangular tube with panels on the front and back. Kinda conventional compared to what we usually do, but it will help to keep the cost of this finished product close to what a kit version would be priced at.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #418 on: September 13, 2014, 05:03:21 PM
The wood base / chassis plate layout never really worked for me with the DAC so i welcome the change.  Looking forward to it..

M.McCandless