Wiring the S.E.X. 2.1 for balance xlr.

Yitaro · 4485

Offline Yitaro

on: May 31, 2014, 06:53:16 AM
Looking to order the s.e.x. kit for my lcd-2.  I run my lcd-2 balance and wondering the difficulty of the mod needed to install the balance xlr headphone out from the amp.  I am planning to order the s.e.x. kit with the impedance switch and the c4s kit.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 06:57:10 AM
With the impedance switch boards its very easy, just a matter of connecting four wires from the boards to the socket, i have done exactly that with mine.

Instead of drilling the chassis plate for an XLR socket the other option is to use the speaker binding posts and make up a banana jack to XLR adapter cable.

M.McCandless

Offline Yitaro

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 08:14:06 AM
Thanks.  Can you direct me to the link on how to make the speaker posts to balance for adapter.  Can we use the single headphone plug that has the balance 4 pin xlr and the 1/4 inch plug together?  Like what they have on the Hi-fi M8.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 08:27:06 AM
You need to purchase the proper gender of 4 pin XLR plug, then you just wire according to the numbers molded into the connector itself.
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Frobrobinette.com%2Fimages%2FAudio%2FHiFiMAN_Pin_Diagram.gif&hash=aea303e01a1957f285856b61db0707de2fd31820)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 09:38:52 AM
On the switch board, the "neg" goes to the relevant pin labelled "ground" on the picture PB posted. The switch board "ground" goes to signal ground, and to the TRS jack ground (shield). "pos" goes to the tip or ring on the L+ or R+ on the XLR, AND to the tip or ring on the TRS.

The shield of the XLR cable (assuming there is one) should go to signal ground as well - this may or may not be important for protection from radio frequency interference.

Connected this way, you will have sound available from XLR and from TRS, but setting the "bal/unbal" switch correctly gives optimal results for the chosen application.

Hope that helps!

Paul Joppa

Offline sbelyo

Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 03:57:18 PM
Paul, what is the best terminal or spot for each switch board to connect to signal ground?