Wiring switch kit ground when using a 4 pin XLR jack for headphones

sbelyo · 1495

Offline sbelyo

Where is the best terminal to connect the switch kit ground?  I'm using a 4 pin XLR for the headphones so I couldn't make out where the best terminal for signal ground is from the manual.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
For the XLR connector use the two - terminals on the impedance switch boards, that way they will either be a - connection for balanced use, or grounded if the board is set to unbalanced.

M.McCandless

Offline sbelyo

That's what I'll do.  I know what pins the neg and pos connect to for each side but where do I connect ground to?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
That's what I'll do.  I know what pins the neg and pos connect to for each side but where do I connect ground to?

Which ground?  The 4 pin XLR jack has 4 pins for signal, none of which should be directly wired to ground, and a ground pin that will already be grounded to the chassis when you mount the jack (don't connect anything to this).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline sbelyo

The ground on the circuit board of the switch.  PJ says to connect this to signal ground, I'm just not sure where
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 08:35:52 AM by sbelyo »

Offline mcandmar

The ground connection from the switch boards would normally connect the sleeve of the TRS headphone socket, which in turn is grounded to the center post of the terminal strip closest to it.  Have a read through the manual and you will find it.

PJ did state before that grounding the secondary side isn't strictly required for the circuit to function in a S.E.X. 2.1, but its just a good practice / safety thing to do so.

M.McCandless

Offline sbelyo

Ahh yes, its the first step at the top of page 29.  23U is the terminal that the ground terminal on the switch kit circuit board should go to.  Is that right?

Offline mcandmar

Yup looks right to me.

M.McCandless