Goldpoint sound

John Roman · 2726

Offline John Roman

on: October 20, 2011, 05:22:56 AM
I recently completed installing a pair of 20K mono goldpoint attenuators and a selector switch. I'm listening for the first time this morning and find the sound a bit veiled. I'm not sure that is the correct way to describe it but I'm wondering if the 20k choice may be the culprit? I'm thinking the change is because of the 33k series resistors used from the selector switch to the inputs. This is at least partly the case as I have changed out the series resistors on one pair of inputs (80.6k ?) and that has of course reduced attenuation but I'm still sensing a bit of a veiled output. Maybe this has to do with just getting used to the sound of the new attenuators? Is there a "breakin period" for these changes? I doubt it but am unsure. Again this change has less than an hour on it.

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 05:56:54 AM
IME the Goldpoints with surface mount resistors may be slightly more veiled than the Sweetest Whispers (as are DACT attenuators). The Goldpoints that are made from leaded resistors  - Mini-V Custom - are closer to the original sound.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline John Roman

Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 01:18:00 PM
Disappointing to say the least

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline mchurch

Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 06:05:52 PM
John;

I installed the 20K DACT stereo attenuator recently and I found it to be just about the same as SWs. That being said I also upgraded the resistors to Vishay. I have a different resistor on each pair of selectors to experiment with the input levels before I install the DACT selector switch. I went with DACT only because Goldpoint wants PAYPAL and I refuse to use them and DACT is available in several local outlets. If I could get the Mini-V I would try them. The selector switch I chose was the 5 input version as I want to add two more inputs to accommodate my tape decks.

I do agree with Doc about the SMT resistors thats why I had hoped to get Mini-Vs , maybe my hearing is such that I can't detect a difference yet

Cheers

Mike

Offline John Roman

Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 02:37:42 AM
The lesson learned here is that experience is the most valuable asset. I've recently experimented with the replacement of the 0utput tubes and the Sweetest Whispers attenuators. Sonically I feel both changes have been a bust. I'm kicking myself for the need to just make changes when I should have realized how good my system was to begin with. The changes I've made have added to my knowledge of tube amp circuits and that is the best result.  Going forward I'll tread more lightly, and realize that the culmination of Paul Joppa's and Doc's experience far out weigh my desire to make something "better" when it was pretty darn good to begin with. I'm just venting a bit here but also to caution those of us who tend toward change just for the sake of change. This learning experience has left me with a new perspective. It's not all bad, just disappointing. I tip my cap to the knowledge of this group and especially PJ and Doc, well done group.

Regards,
John

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 05:20:08 AM
I thank you for the kind words, John. I think what you did is very valuable. You listened to the stock version first, which is what we always suggest, before changing anything. As to the result, hey, if we got the exact result we expect every time we wouldn't learn squat! I also will point out that you have a control now that is more solidly built and has much finer adjustment. It might not suit your taste, but someone else might love it. And that's why we DIY, you can choose your own sound!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline John Roman

Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 05:12:13 AM
Thanks Doc!

Regards,
John

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 04:08:18 PM
You could always remove the Goldpoints, clean them up with some solder braid, then sell them.

For my own projects, I will stuff the Goldpoint switches with my own selection of through hole resistors.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline John Roman

Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 06:49:48 AM
Thanks Paul,
For now I'm just going to leave the Goldpoints  installed. The next change is upgrading the signal path and then back to the mini 9 pin sockets (12au7). Turns out the 6sn7's really aren't my taste, had to try though. Any suggestions on which variant to use once the 9 pin sockets are re-installed? Replacing the sockets was more work than the Goldpoints for sure. I'm tempted to build another pair of mono blocks to bi-amp my system. My speakers are 97 db so I thought a 45 up top and maybe the 300B for the lower end. I've heard that may not be the best combo, actually considered building an F5 to handle the 250 hz and below range. Then I read where the F5 is rather harsh, a very much love/hate thing. I really liked the EL 84 amp that a fellow Bhead Corndog showed on this forum. An SCA-35  seems an interesting choice as well. Thanks for reading along!

Regards,
John