WE 755A

xcortes · 11232

Offline xcortes

on: August 25, 2012, 11:35:31 AM
A "reprint" from my post at the HE forum:

he WE 755As are the most amazing speakers I've ever heard. They are not extended. They don't play loud. They struggle with complicated music (more later). Yet they suck you into the music and transmit you its soul.

I set up a pair in 2 cu ft boxes with 2A3 amps. Cheap Monster cable between them. Quoting my friend: "Even if you play complicated music through them they are so intelligent that they extract the part they can play well". And they excel at doing so. No, you don't hear every instrument from a symphonic. But you get the spirit from it and you get the composer's.

JSB's cello sonatas through these speakers have been the grandest audio (and probably musical too) experience in my life.

I may try 300Bs and see if I can get an extra couple dBs. And OBs at some point in time.

If I had to choose between my tetra-amped horns with field coils RCAs on the middle and Ionovacs on top and the WEs... Well, I don't so who cares.

These paging, cheap, elevator speakers live to its fame.

For disclosure: No, I'm not a WE speakers dealer. Just a (very) satisfied customer. Oh, and of course this is just my opinion and yours may differ.

Saludos

Xavier Cortes

Offline xcortes

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 03:41:10 PM
The last 24 hours my spirit has been struggling after a very interesting listening session. I concluded I enjoy the WEs more than the horn system. I guess simplicity has its benefits. I am about to put the big horns in storage. Along with the karlsons, three pairs of Paramounts, the restored tube rca power supply, etc, etc. Nope I have no plans to get rid of such system. I'm sure at some point in my life I will get the system back together. But right now I'm switching to the WEs. They are that good.

As for amplification I have an unbuilt Paramour 2 set along with Co opts and Co plate chokes, grid chokes and I think I will go overboard with caps, wire, etc. Easier to do when its one pair vs three. Stay tuned

Xavier Cortes

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 04:10:36 PM
Aren't you glad that you didn't sell those WE's :)

Aaron Johnson

Offline xcortes

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 04:37:30 PM
:)

Xavier Cortes

Offline johnsonad

Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 06:54:35 AM
Please put the new toy in the big system before breaking it down. I would like to know how it sounds full range and all :)

I hope to someday hear a pair of those WE's.

Aaron Johnson

Offline xcortes

Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 01:58:49 PM
Tryng to take advantage of PJ's how-to-break-speakers-iron-law by taking advantage of SETs low damping and after running some models I had these 4 cu fts (twice the WE recommended volume). For these we went with solid alder on the front to allow for back mounting. The rest is plywood with very nicely matched alder veneer. Removable back panel.

In the pic Master Speaker Gerardo (who has been building keto's and my own crazy ideas for close to a decade).

Xavier Cortes

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 06:43:13 PM
Sweet!!  We all want to hear you impressions when done and broken in  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 06:02:38 PM
There's a pair of 755As that aren't broken in yet?!?

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 06:41:30 PM
There's a pair of 755As that aren't broken in yet?!?
Haha - my bad, can't imagine why i said that. Must be the gin talking.  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline xcortes

Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 06:59:02 PM
They are sounding amazing. -3dB at 60hz (per keto: the low C on the cello).

The flatest response and best sound so far is in the corners. Of course the soundstage is pretty extended but you can always imagine being at the first row at the club.

Gonna find hard justifying going back to the horns. Or maybe not when the excitement all goes away?

Xavier Cortes

Offline xcortes

Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 07:25:17 PM
Corners  ???

Xavier Cortes

Offline johnsonad

Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 07:47:04 PM
The room looks completely different now :)

Aaron Johnson

Offline xcortes

Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 07:44:31 AM
After a long listening night I ended up disliking the new boxes.

This morning measured them outside vs the old WE design. The yellow is the big box. The other two the WE design (did both speakers to compare, man this IS a matched pair). Of couse the WE design works much better.

Xavier Cortes

Offline xcortes

Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 07:45:33 AM
So back to the room in the WE boxes. An in room measurement:

Xavier Cortes

Offline xcortes

Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 07:53:40 AM
Both channels combined from 40 hz to 2k.

Xavier Cortes