Resistance Check on 52

Emoreigns · 159

Offline Emoreigns

on: April 29, 2024, 06:52:31 AM
Good Morning,

My build on the BeePre has been going pretty smoothly up until now- I made it to the resistance check on page 52, but have come to a stop here. I am not getting any reading with my meter for either of the resistance checks- It is just showing the 0L reading, which I believe means the circuit isn't completed?  There are some joints that are not soldered yet, so perhaps those are the problem? My multimeter works fine for testing resistors, so I don't believe that it is the problem. I've attached a couple pictures. I appreciate the help as always! Am I just overlooking something here?

~Happy Listening

Offline kgoss

Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 02:50:35 PM
0L is actually over limit. If you don’t have an auto ranging meter you need to increase the range to one greater than the resistance you are measuring. To test your meter just measure a known value resistor out of the circuit and see if you get the correct value. Just be aware the value you read might not be exactly right because of part tolerances. But it should be very close.

Ken Goss

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 06:18:55 AM
Thanks Ken-

The value for A1 and A4 are supposed to be 445 ohms each- So I had my multimeter set to 4000- I(t goes 400,4000,40000) So anyways, the A1 terminal is right on 445 ohms, but I wasn't getting a reading on A4. I took your advise and cranked it up to 40000k and now it is reading 25.03-

It was getting late when I soldered this, and I've already found a couple joints that weren't soldered that should have been. Thanks for the tip on the meeting though- I knew it was something simple, but just couldn't put my finger on it. Still very much a soldering noob-  Hopefully I can find what the issue is tonight-

~Happy Listening

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 01:40:00 PM
You may just need to crimp the unsoldered ends of those resistors down a little bit may help pull that reading into spec.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #4 on: May 05, 2024, 05:06:41 AM
I crimped those resistors down as best as possible- Still not getting a proper reading… still not reading at 4000, and coming in at 25.0 on 40000 ohm setting. My readings seem steady elsewhere.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 05:08:25 AM by Emoreigns »

~Happy Listening

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2024, 06:51:22 AM
The purpose of this resistance check is to be sure that the 330 Ohm resistor goes in the correct spot and doesn't get swapped with one of the 130 ohm resistors.  Since we can see that your 330 ohm resistor is in the correct spot, I would go ahead and continue with the build.  I suspect that as you complete that section and have all those terminals soldered up that you will end up with the correct resistance readings. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #6 on: May 06, 2024, 05:34:19 AM
Ok Great Paul-

That was my gut instinct a few days ago, but I figured it best to consult with the experts and make sure I hadn't made a glaring mistake, or was going to damage something-

Thanks for the help as always- I will update at the next voltage/resistance check or completion to confirm that those values came into spec.

~Happy Listening