Impedence switch boards

Noskipallwd · 9865

Offline Oberst Oswald

Reply #30 on: August 02, 2012, 11:40:44 AM
$14.83 shipping on the impedance boards??
That can't be right.
Can you check your shopping cart settings before I order Doc?
Thanks

I just received my credit card bill and was charged $14.95 for shipping.

X-Fi > Stello DA100 > BeePre > SEX 2.1, Beta 22 or Bijou.    Paramounts > Extended Foreplay III > Thiel CS2 
Stax SR-Lambda with SRD-7/SB
Denon D-7000
Audez'e LCD-2r2
Sennheiser HD 800

Offline Todd R

Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 01:15:24 PM
Hi everybody,
I got my kit today and am looking over the instructions.

I do not have the speaker terminals hooked up and don't intend to ever use them.

I have the newer style headphone jack.

My plot is to install a 4 pin balanced XLR (somewhere) to use with my headphones that are re-cabled in that manner as well as keep the TRS jack for the phones that are conventionally wired. 

Looking at the instructions, I'm not sure if I have my potential wiring correct in my head, but tell me if I do:

Pos & Neg will go to pos & neg terminals of the 4 pin XLR, and ground will go to the safety ground. The switch will be on BAL when using the balanced phones.
Correct so far?

Now to wire the TRS jack: I jumper from the 4 pin XLR, the pos wire for each channel, then.......I get stuck. What do I connect to the ground terminal of the TRS? Is it still the ground?

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 02:53:56 PM
Todd,

I'm goig to be interested what the answer to this is as well.  Hopefully it will get me one step closer to understanding the switching scheme.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 02:58:21 PM
The POS of each switching board need to go to the appropriate terminals on the 1/4" jack (the tip and the ring).  Th e sleeve connects to the ground of the amplifier.

When the toggle switch is set to UNBAL, the negative and ground are wired together, when the toggle switch is set to BAL, this connection is lifted and replaced by a pair of resistors, one between ground and neg and the other between ground pos.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Todd R

Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 12:09:18 AM
The POS of each switching board need to go to the appropriate terminals on the 1/4" jack (the tip and the ring).  Th e sleeve connects to the ground of the amplifier.

When the toggle switch is set to UNBAL, the negative and ground are wired together, when the toggle switch is set to BAL, this connection is lifted and replaced by a pair of resistors, one between ground and neg and the other between ground pos.

Thanks Paul, that helps me understand how it works.
So (in my application) the ground wire from each board will go to the ground on the TRS, and the neg wires from each board will go to the appropriate terminal on the 4 pin XLR, correct?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 04:49:23 AM
Thanks Paul, that helps me understand how it works.
So (in my application) the ground wire from each board will go to the ground on the TRS, and the neg wires from each board will go to the appropriate terminal on the 4 pin XLR, correct?

Perfect.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Todd R

Reply #36 on: August 11, 2012, 01:47:59 PM
Installed the boards today and all went smoothly with the exception of a couple of the transformer wires needed to be longer (sorry, I should have noted which ones).
I got real brave & drilled big holes in my top plate and was able to fit a Neutrik locking 1/4 jack and a 4 pin XLR jack in that area. (Pictures later)

Now I need that C4S upgrade!

Come on Doc, I'm ready!

Offline Oberst Oswald

Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 05:55:40 PM

Now I need that C4S upgrade!

Come on Doc, I'm ready!

Me too

X-Fi > Stello DA100 > BeePre > SEX 2.1, Beta 22 or Bijou.    Paramounts > Extended Foreplay III > Thiel CS2 
Stax SR-Lambda with SRD-7/SB
Denon D-7000
Audez'e LCD-2r2
Sennheiser HD 800

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 01:06:01 AM
Got the boards the other day as well and got them populated, still waiting on my Amp kit. I'll worry about the C4S a little later.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Todd R

Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 12:44:54 PM
Got my boards in as well and a couple of Neutrik locking jacks. See, there is room (just barely)

Offline Anton

Reply #40 on: November 10, 2012, 06:56:00 AM
Hello,
I have installed impedance switch board on my SEX 2.1 with OT-2. Instruction manual in section "Output impedance switching" (page 15) says that both "ML" and "HI" positions gives 8 ohm for SEX with OT-2. Is this a typo? I guess "HI" position should give 32 ohm for OT-2 - is it right?
Please let me know

Thanks
Anton Petukhov

Eros phono / Foreplay III extended upgrade / Paramount 300B/ S.E.X. 2.1 impedance switch upgrade

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #41 on: November 10, 2012, 07:15:39 AM
Yeah, it's a typo. HI is the 32 ohm setting, ML is the 8 ohm setting.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Anton

Reply #42 on: November 10, 2012, 10:16:28 AM
Thanks, Doc
It sounds really good. I already tried it with my Grado RS-2 headphones and also with my Cain&Cain Abby speakers.
It works great with Abby's -  SEX has enough power to drive them, I need turn volume knob only about half way.
Thanks again

Anton

Eros phono / Foreplay III extended upgrade / Paramount 300B/ S.E.X. 2.1 impedance switch upgrade