Mesh plate 300Bs in Parabees

Paul Folbrecht · 3479

Offline Paul Folbrecht

on: February 03, 2014, 05:21:16 PM
I picked up probably the nicest pair of Parabees ever built last week.  They were advertised here awhile ago - gorgeous and with all premium parts.

I have read that

1) The Parabees run the 300Bs hard
2) Some/most/all mesh 300Bs cannot handle full plate dissipation rations - more like 90% of that.

My question is, can I run TJ/Full Music mesh 300Bs in this amp, and without seriously shortening their life?

Thanks!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 05:32:44 PM
IIRC, the Parabee runs at 350V/70mA, which is just under 24 Watts of dissipation.  Most 300B's aren't going to be bothered by this.

The old B'Glows, on the other hand, are a different story. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 04:27:29 AM
I picked up probably the nicest pair of Parabees ever built last week.  They were advertised here awhile ago - gorgeous and with all premium parts.

Hi Paul:

I saw that you were using a First Watt SIT-2 recently.  What's your take on it?  How does it compare to a really good SET tube amp (like Bottlehead!)?  Thanks.

Gerry

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 05:20:06 PM
I should mention that you got the nicest pair of Bottlehead Parabees I've seen. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 06:41:22 PM
I have a pair of the TJ 300B Mesh plates. They are not a true woven "Mesh". Rather a perforated solid anode.

They seem to work fine at any reasonable 300B op point...John   

John S.

Offline Paul Folbrecht

Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 02:00:16 PM

Hi Paul:

I saw that you were using a First Watt SIT-2 recently.  What's your take on it?  How does it compare to a really good SET tube amp (like Bottlehead!)?  Thanks.

Gerry

Gerry, FYI, I posted an answer to your question, which was apparently deleted by a moderator, which was a surprise to me.

Moderator(s), could you perhaps explain that please?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 02:13:08 PM
The moderators just decided to pick on you, that's all.  ;)

Actually we mods had nothing to do with it. We are working on the release of a new website and my guess is that in the process of testing a glitch took out the most recent backup and the next most recent one had to be uploaded.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Folbrecht

Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 02:17:48 PM
The moderators just decided to pick on you, that's all.  ;)

Actually we mods had nothing to do with it. We are working on the release of a new website and my guess is that in the process of testing a glitch took out the most recent backup and the next most recent one had to be uploaded.

I'll sleep soundly tonight - thanks. ;)

Offline johnsonad

Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 02:21:47 PM
Gerry I'll tell you that the SIT-2 didn't last long in my system. I preferred the J2 to the SIT and my modded Quad 303 wasn't too far off from it especially to justify the price. I'm not trying to advertise but you have a 30 day demo when you buy from Reno HiFi paying only the shipping. I'm very thankful for Mark's return policy and have used it.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Folbrecht

Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 02:29:33 PM
Gerry I'll tell you that the SIT-2 didn't last long in my system. I preferred the J2 to the SIT and my modded Quad 303 wasn't too far off from it especially to justify the price. I'm not trying to advertise but you have a 30 day demo when you buy from Reno HiFi paying only the shipping. I'm very thankful for Mark's return policy and have used it.

Wow... not my experience at all.  To me, the SIT amps have a microdynamic life that NONE of the other FW amps have.  That is the big differentiator.

It sounded to me like a 45 SET but with 10W, and even more extension on both ends.

(My system now likes the slightly more full sound of the 300B.  The 300Bs don't have quite the speed, but it's not far off.)

Offline johnsonad

Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 02:39:21 PM
Paul,  im using and sticking with 300B's myself.  I highly recommend the EML 300B mesh if you are so inclined.

Our experiences go to show that you really need to hear an amp in your own system to form an opinion of it.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 04:56:32 AM
Paul and Aaron, thank you!

Room, system and personal preference really do play a major factor in how we perceive any component.  Example, I know many people really like the 45, but it's too "modern sounding" for me.  I prefer the 2A3, 46 and of course the 300B (at least in the amps I have heard).

Given the above, when Paul describes the SIT-2 as "...like a 45 SET but with 10W, and even more extension on both ends.", it's probably not for me.  Also, Aaron makes a good point about value.  Those SIT amps are not inexpensive.  The only thing question left is, how would a pair of SIT-1 monos sound?  Of course they are double the cost!

Gerry