Easy enough?

wolfetan44 · 4416

Offline wolfetan44

Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 11:32:13 AM
You are not alone.  I had a problem.  Here is a link:

http://cardas.com/solder.php

Looking at the page there is no pricing.  So it has to be bought from retailers.  Try Audio Adviser or Music Direct.  Both are the name plus .com.  The increment is 100g.

How many feet is 100g?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 11:39:03 AM
More than a year's worth?  You could ask one of the sellers and they will give you a good answer.

Offline wolfetan44

Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 05:25:29 AM
I'll be buying a BH Crack one of these days:D. Need to buy solder too:P

Offline wolfetan44

Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 05:50:13 AM
Wait. After reading the sample pages of the manual, I have no clue what it means, because I do not know all the vocabulary. Will the parts come labeled? Or no?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 06:25:30 AM
All of the parts are labeled and measurable.  Resistors have colored stripes on them to identify what they are (you can also measure the with a $10 multimeter), the capacitors have the values printed right on them, and the diodes are distinctive enough to not be too concerned (in this kit at least) about using the wrong one  in the wrong place.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 06:31:28 AM
Definitely get a multimeter. Check each resistor with it before you install it. Well worth it.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline wolfetan44

Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 06:35:40 AM
Definitely get a multimeter. Check each resistor with it before you install it. Well worth it.
I have one.
All of the parts are labeled and measurable.  Resistors have colored stripes on them to identify what they are (you can also measure the with a $10 multimeter), the capacitors have the values printed right on them, and the diodes are distinctive enough to not be too concerned (in this kit at least) about using the wrong one  in the wrong place.

-PB
Thing is, I don't know ANY of the vocabulary.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 07:01:00 AM
Believe me when I say you don't need to know the vocabulary. Everything will be explained or self-explanatory when you get it. When I built my Crack, I basically had zero electronics experience. I am a lawyer. All you need to do is read carefully, look at the pictures, and do exactly what you are told. Don't try to interpret or read into the instructions, just do exactly what it says and you will be fine. The instructions are as comprehensive as the following instructions on how to boil water:

1. Open the door to the second kitchen cabinet from the right.
2. Remove the 5 quart saucepan (silver, with a copper bottom and black handles).
3. Place saucepan in sink.
4. Open cold water tap by rotating handle clockwise 90 degrees.
5. When saucepan is three-quarters full, close cold water tap by rotating handle counter-clockwise 90 degrees.
6. Remove saucepan from sink and place on large stove burner.
7. Turn on heat for that burner to "high" ("9" or "10" if controls are numerically marked).
8. Allow water to heat until it begin to boil (water will be rapidly churning as large - not small - bubbles form).

If you can follow those directions, you can build a Crack.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 07:15:43 AM

The pictures will help you fill that in.   Along with that, you can always refer to the terminal numbers listed in the manual, most of the time there will only be one or two components attached to each.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline wolfetan44

Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 02:32:36 PM
Something just hit me. The Crack doesn't play well with planar-magnetics does it?

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 04:03:03 PM
No. Go for the S.E.X.

Best regards,
Adam

Offline wolfetan44

Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 04:30:44 PM
No. Go for the S.E.X.

Best regards,
Adam
Damn. Well, I'm going to sleep on it for a couple of days and see what I want to do. Thanks for all the help guys, will report back.

Offline dubiousmike

Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 07:32:17 AM

The pictures will help you fill that in.   Along with that, you can always refer to the terminal numbers listed in the manual, most of the time there will only be one or two components attached to each.

Ditto what PB said!  The crack was my absolute first diy project aside from a cable or two, and the clear and detailed assembly manual and macro photos of each and every step make it totally beginner friendly.  It is the paint by numbers of amp kits. 

Cutting and stripping the wires is a minor chore, and I would echo the advice of others who suggest that you do all that in advance of any soldering.  (For my speedball, I cut, stripped and scotch taped each piece of wire next to the relevant steps on each page of a print out of the manual.)  The final product is just wonderful if you have high impedance dynamic headphones! 

Mike M.