Added speedball and added a hum.

hpjun · 1343

Offline hpjun

on: May 30, 2013, 11:06:07 AM
before speedball my crack had a very black background with volume pot maxed out i heard nothing.

I installed the speedball and everything checks out and I noticed an improvement but also added a buzzy hum that gets louder when the volume pot is cranked passed 6 o clock where zero volume is 12 o clock i normally lesson to music at 2 o clock levels.

not sure what it can be. i checked all the speedball joints and they looked very clean.

Also I used the left over thicker wires from the crack kit instead of using the thin ones supplied with the speedball kit not sure if it caused the buzzing.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:12:43 AM by hpjun »

Jun

Offline Laudanum

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 12:46:44 AM
I'll let the gurus help with the Buzz.  The included wires with Speedball are teflon insulated, the insulation is thinner but "tougher" and more solder/heat resistant.   The wire itself, I think, is maybe one gauge smaller.  But anyway, I doubt the wire has anything to do with the buzz.

Desmond G.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 04:27:50 AM
Are all the voltages approximately in spec?

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline hpjun

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 07:56:15 AM
I noticed the buzz on the left speaker louder than the right speaker they both have a buzz.

I noticed the left MJE350 transistor is running hotter than the right MJE350.

So I think it could be the transistor or that I am feeding it incorrect voltage.

My dad noticed the phase is a little off. I didn't notice it at first but now I do.

I will make the volt measurements later.

Jun

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 08:04:40 AM
Also look to be sure both MJE-350's are oritented correctly.

-PB

(But one runnig much hotter indicates that you will find a voltage issue most likely)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man