A few identification questions before I begin in earnest...

Jim R. · 1640

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Well, it's about time the very first stereomour kit bought should get built for real (I did do the circuit boards with some help sometime ago.), but I need a bit of help on identifying terminals before I get going.

First would be how to orient and identify the terminals on the power transformer.

Next would be how to identify the tabs on the output transformers (stock)

Then as far as the psu pc board goes, which terminals are the extra B+ and cathode bypass cap connections -- again, I'm leaving these caps on the board but switching them to some blackgate NHs I have, plus probably adding some film caps to the B+ supplies.

I do have the terminal strip numbering all figured out, and the rest is in the manual.

I think this is going to be worth the wait -- some custom finishes and extra goodies (mostly cosmetic and a fairly stock circuit with just a small handful of upgraded parts.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Anybody out there? Almost 90 views and nobody can answer these simple questions?

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline borism

Hi Jim,
I hope I understand your request. How to orient and identify the terminals on the power transformer seems to be pictured in the manual on the pages 33 and 34 and you can also see it in the second photo of my build thread: http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,5894.0.html
The terminals, when looking at the bottom view of the chassis plate (with the speaker terminals on top), seem mostly on the right side. They are numbered 7 - 18 (clockwise starting with the top most left terminal).
The output transformer tabs, when you look closely, have identifying numbers etched in the plastic next to them (at least in my kit).
Hope this helps.
Someone else may need to answer your other questions.
Boris   

Boris

Offline borism

Jim,
After writing my note I noticed the "blind bottlehead" under your name. So my post may have missed your request.
The power transformer orientation description I wrote might still work. I just want to add that when counting from 7 to 18 the posts 9 and 16 are missing and correspond to gaps.
Boris

Boris

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Hi Boris,

Many thanks for this but as you are new here you probably don't know that I'm totally blind. I also can't read my stereomour manual as neither it, my crack , manual or quickie 1.0 manuals will not read in my computer. I wrote to BH about this a week or so ago and got no response.

In tmy particular build there is a reason I need to install the plate chokes and transformers before anything else, and I want to wire the OPTs for 8 ohm balanced operation.once those pieces are in place, the power transformer needs to go next -- or at least that would make things much easier.

Thanks again,

Jim

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Hi Jim,

I didn;t see your post until now.

PT-6 pinout:

Terminals are bunched up toward the right on both back and front rows.
Back row from left to right - 7,8, small gap, 10,11,12 closer together than front row terminals
Front row from left to right 18,17 a little bit bigger gap than the back, then 15,14,13.

OT-2 pinout:
With channel frame flanges on bench,
bottom row from right to left is 1,2,3, then 4 has no terminal, then 5 at the left end
top row from right to left is 6,7,8 then 9 has no terminal, then 10 at the left end

As to extra terminal pads on the power supply PC board, if you check along one long edge of the board you will find a group of three pads close together about three quarters of an inch in from each end. Those are all B+ pads and the outermost ones are extra. At the center of that same edge is the ground and just outboard in each direction about a quarter of an inch is each cathode connection. Those are all going to have wires in them, there aren't really any extra pads for cathode bypass caps. The cathode caps are mounted directly back from that edge, between the cathode pads and the B+ pads

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Dan and Boris,

Thanks much -- this is great! Just what I needed.

Boris, I love your story about your stereomour - that's what this is all about -- first timer and gets to experience just how good something you build yourself can sound.

-- Jim

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Jim,

I'm wondering how you properly orient a 4 pin socket without seeing it?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Paul,

I don't know -- that's never been a problem as I can feel the different pin sizes fairly easily. I've also never put a ux4 tube in incorrectly.

-- Jim