Loud popping when plugging in headphones

Futureroast · 753

Offline Futureroast

on: October 21, 2019, 04:32:36 AM
Hey guys I just picked up a used BHC+SB locally and was trying to listen to it last night but I get very loud popping sounds when plugging in the headphones, as well as if I twist or move the headphone plug within the jack. I did hear music coming out with the volume around 25% but didn’t spend any time listening as the pop had bothered me and I wasn’t sure if everything was okay with the amp. I was looking through the manual and noticed a difference on the under side of the headphone plug socket on the BHC. My amp has a straight metal rod/wire soldered across the T R and S connections on the opposite side from where the leads are wired into it. It has the three resistors all ending on the Tip, but the straight solder across all three seems very strange. Is this ever practiced? I’ll  upload pics of mine when I get home from work.

Offline oguinn

Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 04:39:09 AM
You'll want to compare what's in the manual, both from a wiring (which it sounds like what you did) and a resistance/voltage standpoint, to your amp. Do you have a multimeter to do the measurements?

Definitely agree that posting pics will help.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 05:11:33 AM
You almost certainly have a bad solder joint on the headphone jack itself.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Futureroast

Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 06:36:47 AM
Yea I got a meter. I briefly glanced over the connections and didn’t see anything notably loose. I’ll dive into it and send pics + updates when I get home. Thanks for the quick responses.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 08:43:14 AM
Yup, start with a reflow of the joints on the jack. That will probably fix the problem.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Futureroast

Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 11:19:44 AM
Here's a picture of the headphone jack. Now that I look closely the black lead coming from the potentiometer is loose as it passes through the lead in side of the headphone jack.... Is there any explanation for the T R S being soldered together on the other side?
https://imgur.com/eDn8PeZ
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 11:26:03 AM by Futureroast »

Offline Futureroast

Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 12:10:59 PM
I re-soldered the black wire into the headphone jack, and I took the wire off the other side just because. No popping noise anymore! Thanks for the tips.

P.S. Sounds nice :D

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 12:11:19 PM
The wires soldered together on the other side of the TRS jack need to be there.  These short the output when you have no headphones plugged in, which minimizes the voltage spike when turning on the amplifier. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:13:07 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Futureroast

Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 12:17:32 PM
Ah I see. I'll re-attach it.

Offline ufotofu

Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 04:01:16 PM
Thank you everybody, I was having the same issue hearing a very loud pop when plugging in my headphones. Turned out to be a loose ground connection on my jack just like suggested!