Moreplay preamp match XLR volume vs max volume?

Mark_Kirollos · 472

Offline Mark_Kirollos

on: November 27, 2023, 03:50:22 PM
I am using my Moreplay amp to add "tube sound" to my system, not to control volume. I ultimately control the volume on my amp and I am trying to decide how far to turn the volume/gain dial on my Moreplay. I have my DAC hooked up RCA to the Moreplay and XLR straight to my amp. I can add the Moreplay into the chain by switching to RCA input on my amp vs XLR. My two initial trains of thought are that I can volume match both chains or I can maximize the Moreplay's volume to get maximize my input signal.

Is there any harm to maximizing the volume/gain dial on the preamp? Does this add more distortion or strain the components more than setting the volume knob lower? Does the Moreplay have a sweet spot where it performs most optimally? Also, what is the maximum voltage output, assuming a 2V RCA input? I know that my headphone amp can handle a fairly hot input, but that would be good to know.

Offline ccmccull

Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 04:16:52 PM
Since the volume pot is in circuit after the 6v6 tube, it doesn't affect strain on the components.

I was also wondering about the affect of preamp and amp vol position on frequency response. I analyzed the resistor circuit formed in the preamp-amp connection (my amp is the sex) and convinced myself that it has a negligible effect in the audible frequencies.

Moreplay provides up to 9 db gain.

But the experts may weigh in and correct me!

Colin
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > S.E.X. > {{Spendor_S3/5r2 & SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & Grado_sr325x}

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 05:45:44 AM
The same signal goes into the 6V6 regardless of where the volume pot position is, so you are free to set things as you like.  You will get about 5.5V max out of the Moreplay with 2V at the inputs. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline timindq

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 12:36:55 PM
If you turn the volume to max on your Moreplay do you hear any noise/hum at the speakers. I have tried a few different tube pairs with my Moreplay, and only two pairs exhibit silence with the gain up all the way. With the others I can hear some noise at the speaker (close proximity) until I approach 3/4 volume.

I suggest you check this before deciding.

Source: Lumin D2 with SBooster power supply, 2tb SSD attached to Lumin, Pre: Moreplay, Amp: Bryston 2bSST, Speakers: Joseph Audio RM22XL. Setup in large, well treated dedicated listening space.