Volume control question

Mikef · 351

Offline Mikef

on: December 17, 2023, 03:27:13 AM
When I finish building my Moreplay, I have a couple of amps that I'm really looking forward to trying with it. One of them is my Tubes4hifi ST-35 that I recently built. When I built it, I installed the optional Alps volume pot. That way I could use line level devices straight into the amp and still have a volume control.

Once I start using the Moreplay, there will be two volume controls. Is it ok to have a volume control on both the preamp and amp? I could go back and remove the volume pot from the amp if need be.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 03:56:56 AM
It's OK to have two controls in series - the Stereomour (for example) has a balance control in series with a volume control. It may be handy to adjust the knob range of the Moreplay; you can always take it out later.

Paul Joppa

Offline Mikef

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 04:15:21 AM
It's OK to have two controls in series - the Stereomour (for example) has a balance control in series with a volume control. It may be handy to adjust the knob range of the Moreplay; you can always take it out later.
[/quote

Thanks Paul, I'll try it out with both and see what I think.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023, 04:42:32 AM
Without the ST35 control, you may have a hair-trigger volume control. The ST35 is quite sensitive.

Paul Joppa