Turntable placement

aragorn723 · 1123

Offline aragorn723

on: October 07, 2018, 03:39:55 PM
I have a turntable and was wondering about placement with other equipment.  Is it ok to put it next to the Quickie?

Dave

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 08:25:55 AM
This should not be a problem at all. Neither the TT nor the Quickie do emit electric noise. You can also just try it out.

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 03:08:03 PM
Thanks..  Just mounted the tv on the wall (was next to the Quickie).  The Quickie and turntable are next to each other, and super quiet :)

Dave

Offline Deluk

Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 12:28:56 AM
Isolating the turntable from vibration, either structural or airborne, should be higher on the list of considerations.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 06:44:49 AM
I had a bad audible hum from the tv going to the Quickie before.  Eventually I'll have to isolate and level the turntable too.  What is a good isolation platform to look at?

Dave

Offline Deluk

Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 02:29:21 AM
A picture of your system/layout would help with suggestions about TT set up. Leveling is basic and is one of the first things you do before even playing your first record and you've probably done that. Unless you wish to, don't get sucked into the cult of fancy tables for isolation. Common sense and a few DIY $ will get you a long way in finding useful improvements.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 03:55:52 PM
I'll have to re-level it.  The uturn audio doesn't have adjustable feet.  In the last setup, I had pennies as shims under the feet to level it, but the pennies slid out.  What's a good way to level it?  I'll have to take a system pic and post. 

Dave

Offline Deluk

Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 01:31:13 AM
I can't see any reference to leveling anywhere on the Uturn website which is a surprise. Perhaps email them for advice. I wouldn't expect to have to swap in some adjustable feet. Does it have 3 feet? Certainly easier to level the TT rather than any stand or shelf you might choose.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 01:00:52 PM
That is kind of strange.  I noticed the same thing about the Uturn site.  I wound up using some felt pads for the bottom of chairs, and a couple of pennies to level it.  Sounds better now. 

Dave

Offline aragorn723

Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 02:04:06 PM
Here's the system:

Offline Deluk

Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 01:54:23 AM
Looking good. That's a lot of correction so I'm not surprised that you noticed an improvement. Do you have a little TT bubble level? Very useful. I would still drop Uturn a line though, to see what they say. Seems like the sort of company that would welcome feedback.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 05:17:07 AM
I wound up using a chalk line level, which is pretty small.  Ikea furniture bows a lot lol.  Uturn has pretty good service, I will probably send them a message and see if they plan to offer adjustable feet as a upgrade.  One neat thing they did was to re-design the tonearm from their original design, then offered it to their customers as an upgrade.  I think the next step for me is to replace the rca coming from the phono preamp with something better (using a cheap cable from target).  Eventually I will probably replace the platter with an acrylic one, and add a weight too.  What other upgrades would be worth doing?

Dave