turntable suggestion?

joepiecuch · 851

Offline joepiecuch

on: February 10, 2022, 03:20:43 AM
i'm thinking it's time to, after many years, bring a turntable back into my sound system. i'll probably go with a reduction and would appreciate suggestions for turntable and cartridge combos that would pair well with that preamp and be in a similar price range. i don't have a ton of vinyl but it's all otherwise unavailable stuff and i do have an all-bottlehead setup. 

Offline kcleveland

Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 05:19:50 AM
I would suggest a Rega P3 and Ortofon 2M Red, Blue + (choose color based on budget). Assuming the Reduction can only function with MM carts unless you plan to use a SUT.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 07:06:56 AM
+1 on the Rega and Ortofon combo.
 Even the Planer 1 paired with the Red will play very satisfactorily with the Reduction. That setup (used in the "lounge " at home) allows for incremental, audibly detectable, upgrades to each component with a very reasonable price of entry and no apology necessary.
Like anything, every brand has its fans and detractors. If possible an audition in your system/listening room is always a plus.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline adeep42

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 10:41:49 AM
Don't forget The Orbit turntable from U-Turn Audio.

Offline ccmccull

Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 11:12:42 AM
+1 to uturn. I use an orbit with ortofon blue. Not with reduction (yet!) It's a great tt.

Colin
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > { {SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & {diy kegger design kt88 SET} > Magnepan .7

Offline oguinn

Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 11:35:06 AM
I used the U-Turn with the Reduction and thought it was great. Eventually upgraded to a Rega P6 and an Eros, but I still have a U-Turn with an Ortofon Red downstairs.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline joepiecuch

Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 04:14:45 PM
thanks very much. the orbit looks it will fit my budget.

Offline hddeluxe1

Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 05:07:45 PM
   I'm running a Fluance RT 85 with an Ortofon 2M blue. Great turntable that's under 500 bucks.

Joe "Pug" Stricker
 Moreplay preamp with 6v6-cv509's
 Reduction phono preamp with integration upgrade
 Quicksilver KT-88 monoblocks
 Fluance RT-85 TT with Ortofon 2M Blue
 Teac A2300S RTR
 Klipsch Forte II's

Offline Karl5150

Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 02:48:05 AM
Joe, those Fluance TTs are great bang for the buck. I picked one of the more entry level models as a gift for my daughter-in-law and was very pleased with the quality and features, maybe one of these days I'll get a chance to bypass the internal phono stage and hear what can be gained by going with an outboard phono pre.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline jdm

Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 12:47:48 PM
The Technics SL-1500C may be of interest to you also.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #10 on: March 31, 2022, 01:19:37 AM
+1 to uturn. I use an orbit with ortofon blue. Not with reduction (yet!) It's a great tt.

This is an older post, but I thought it might help to have a little more info on the Uturn.  I've have one for about 5 years with the Grado Black.  You may want one of the more expensive carts.  It has a nice clean sound, but to me it is lacking in high end detail.  I've found the Uturn to be a great table, but somewhat limited on cartridge compatibility.  Tried using a London Maroon cart (it has a cantiliverless design) and couldn't get it to work right no matter what I tried.  Might have to eventually get something like a Rega P3.

On a side note, the Uturn is easy to service.  The bearings went bad in mine, and it was a very simple install.  Just remove a few screws, and the whole bearing assembly comes out.  Reinstall was just as easy.

Dave

Offline joepiecuch

Reply #11 on: March 31, 2022, 02:56:01 AM
thanks for the input from all who offered it. after reading many many online reviews and taking other considerations into account, i ended up ordering a pro-ject debut carbon evo. it arrived the day before i finished the build on the reduction. i've been playing vinyl the last few days after a lapse of almost 30 years. pro-ject switched from ortofon to sumiko cartridges; it sounds very nice, but i've got little to compare it with aside from cds, which sound pretty good through the all-bottlehead rig. i'll almost certainly end up adding the integration; despite the rainier cartridges 5 mV output, i need more volume!

Offline caffeinator

Reply #12 on: March 31, 2022, 03:55:59 AM
I've got a couple of Pro-ject tables and both have been very reliable and good value for the money. One is doing yeoman service with my daughter in college, the other is among the secondary tables at home.

Enjoy!

Offline Herbertk

Reply #13 on: March 31, 2022, 07:45:11 AM
I have had two rega turntables recently and Love them :D

Started with a pre-loved P1 and now have a Planar 8 but the P3 is a really nice mid level table.

Project also has some really nice tables to start on, don't be a afraid to shop pre-owned when someone spends $1000 plus on a turntable the generally look after them well.