tune up time

Doc B. · 1085

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: July 12, 2012, 01:03:17 PM
We're all seeing the great amount of activity here, particularly regarding mods and upgrades. Pretty amazing for summer time.

So I think it is time to remind everyone of the free tweaks that can be done, and in fact should be done before you start choppin' and swappin'. This time of year can be pretty humid in many parts of the country and that can really accelerate the process of corrosion buildup on electrical contacts.

- exercise all of your pots and switches. This in fact we just did with a brand new attenuator design we are working on. It took it from being better in some aspects and worse in others relative to our reference, to being pretty clearly the better choice

- after you do that go through and unplug and replug all of your interconnects to give them freshly burnished contacts

- now do the same for speaker cables

- now do the same for your power cords

- clean up wire dress - keep power cords off chassis and keep interconnects away from power cords and power transformers wherever possible.

Now you can make yourself crazy trying to decide if that new tube or cap you put in sounds better or worse.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 07:04:29 PM
If you like Cramolin or De-ox, add that to the list...John 

John S.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 02:21:33 AM
I still have some blue and red Cramolin I got 30 years ago.  A little goes a long way.

Dan,

Great idea, I hope everyone reads this.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:25:03 AM by Grainger49 »