Turntable / Cartridge Advice

Natural Sound · 3006

Offline Natural Sound

on: December 25, 2013, 12:01:40 PM
OK here's the scoop. I've been using a friends turntable for a few years now. But he just moved into a new home and wanted it back. So I'm finding myself in a situation where I'm without a way to listen to my vinyl. I'd say that about 80 percent of my listening is digital these days. So keep that in mind. And I'm a bit short on funds at the moment. I'm setting a budget of $500 - $700 to get started again. I might be able to go a little higher if the "bang for the buck" takes a big step forward. I know thats not much but its what I can afford right now. I thought about going used but I'm a little hesitant due to a couple of bad experience in the past.

So here is what I'm thinking. I have a Dual CS 505-3 and a monster Sansui SR-838 in storage. I'm wondering if either of these are worth putting into service. Either would need a new cartridge. I do have an unused Grado - Gold that could be used in a pinch.

Or I could get into an entry level turntable like a PRO-JECT, REGA or a MUSIC HALL

I'm using a Bottlehead Seduction C4S as my phono stage.

Comments... ideas...?

Offline coca

Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 03:26:10 PM
If you consider a Rega or Project, I would say that you are on the right track. Both manufacturers have several models to choose from. I think it is a case of choosing the best you can afford from them. If you have to stretch your budget a bit, then go for it.

Bernie.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 03:34:45 PM

So here is what I'm thinking. I have a monster Sansui SR-838 in storage.

I don't think you can better the SR-838 by buying a new turntable in your price range. 
I do think you could get a kickass cartridge for about 1/2-2/3 of your budget if the Sansui doesn't need any repair. 

(SR-838's are $400-1000 used BTW)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:52:21 PM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 03:46:01 PM

Stay away from the Rega RP-1 - quality control is an issue.

This will probably generate some negative responses, but for that money it's hard to go wrong with a good used Technics SL1200/1210 off of Asylum Trader, Audio Circle Trading Post or US Audio Mart from a seller with solid + feedback, along with a good MM cartridge from LP Gear or LP Tunes - the AT-7V, AT-120E, AT-95E ($40.99!) or Shure M-97XE. I had really good results with these carts (all but the AT-95E, that is) on that table, w/the Seduction. Plus, the arm can be tweaked for small money at KAB Electro Acoustics, the home of all things Techie.

The SL12xx's are damn near bullet proof. Just make sure you get one that had no DJ use.

Whatever you do, have fun and Merry Christmas!

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 08:01:20 PM

So here is what I'm thinking. I have a monster Sansui SR-838 in storage.

I don't think you can better the SR-838 by buying a new turntable in your price range. 
I do think you could get a kickass cartridge for about 1/2-2/3 of your budget if the Sansui doesn't need any repair. 

(SR-838's are $400-1000 used BTW)

Cool, any recommendations for a cartridge? The 838 is in good working order otherwise.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 08:33:01 PM
The 838 has a nice, medium mass arm on it.  That's a pretty flexible arm in terms of selecting cartridges. 

I tend to favor getting a reworked cartridge from skilled hands.  For new options to work with a Seduction, maybe an Ortofon Blue or Bronze might would be a decent place to start. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 11:50:15 AM
Paul, who was that local retipper you've used in the past again?

Offline Mike B

Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 01:26:01 PM
I use a Stanton ST-150.

Yeah, I know it's a DJ table.  But it's powerful, direct drive, heavy (3/8" solid steel plinth) and works good.  I put a Herbies mat on it instead of the stupid slip mat and a Shure cartridge.  It's in your budget.

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 07:13:36 PM
Paul, who was that local retipper you've used in the past again?

A gentleman named Andy out in Issaquah/Bellevue.  He posts pretty regularly on Clist.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline ffivaz

Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 05:18:14 AM
I use a Denon DL-110, it's a high output MC (about 2 mV, advertised as 1.6 mV). In my opinion, it's enough for my Reduction with C4S. I really love the sound, it's dynamic, extended and it tracks nicely... You can find one for around 100$.

Best wishes
Fabien

Fabien Fivaz

Thorens TD 160, Denon DL-110, Hagerman Piccolo 2, Reduction (w/ Integration), 2A3 Stereomour, Fostex FE126En in Bk12m enclosures
Halide DAC HD, Crack (w/ Speedball), Sennheiser HD 650

Offline hasafraker

• Hasafraker Blog
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 07:57:25 AM
You owe it to yourself to at least check out the tables at http://uturnaudio.com/ my Orbit will be here in the next month or so. The base model is just $179. You can't hardly go wrong. Everything I've read to this point has been positive. I can't wait to get my hands on mine.

as long as it sounds good, who cares?

Main system; AT-LP120-USB Turntable w/AT440MLa, Bottlehead Reduction Phono, Decware ZSP1 Preamp, Pass Labs ACA Monoblocks, PSB Alpha B1's, MartinLogan Dynamo 300 sub. Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball, Interconnects and stands all DIY.

Offline Deluk

Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 10:42:45 AM
From the YouTube videos the Sansui 838 looks very nice indeed. I'd use it. The original Grado Gold does get mixed reviews but you have it. So far it's cost you nothing. If the Grado sound doesn't suit you or your system you'll know what characteristics you need to seek out in a new cartridge. Beware, buying cartridge after cartridge chasing a certain sound can get expensive, so choose wisely, listening to them first if possible. Did the cartridge that you're giving back, give you sound that you enjoyed, and was it better or similar to your digital sound? Better advice might be given if we knew your speakers and if you had a hard or soft room if you know what I mean.