stereomour success

azrockitman · 1958

Offline azrockitman

on: August 01, 2013, 06:28:46 PM
wow, I got discouraged for a while but my stereomour is amp'ing!  Love it.  My 2nd kit now successfully playing. 
Listening to Alicia Keys LP, Songs in A minor.  Sounds great!   ;D ;D

Man, I'm so relieved to get through my issues.  I believe some of the problem was a bad shunt regulator that was replaced readily, but I also discovered some poor solders. 

I'm no expert so take my "soldering tip" with a grain of salt but I believe this strongly:

YOU CAN NOT WIGGLE A GOOD SOLDER LOOSE.  I had a number of solders that I had trouble with during the first construction effort and I would successfully (I believed at the time) finally get a difficult connection soldered, but I was so afraid of it failing, I literally would hold my breath and not touch that solder for fear of wiggling it loose.  Which now I know is nonsense.  You might be able to bend a soldered wire back and forth enough to ultimately bend it it to the breaking point, but a good solder will simply not wiggle free.  So wiggle it, push it, touch it, pull on it...if it's good, you can't disturb it.  I won't ever hold my breath and cross my fingers again on a solder.  It's either good, or not.

Next up, EROS Phono. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 07:24:10 PM by azrockitman »

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 06:53:52 PM
Man, this is so spot on that it should be a sticky!

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 12:15:49 AM
My guess at wiggly solder joints is that the component lead didn't get enough heat.  The solder didn't bond with it but stuck elsewhere, the PCB pad or the terminal. 

Your point is well taken.  If it moves, it isn't a solder joint, just some solder not joined.

Offline azrockitman

Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 08:19:53 AM
I'm guessing I have maybe 5 hours on my stereomour now.  Just like the S.E.X ii, I am just amazed at the difference in sound from the first few minutes, to now.  My best description is that it sounds "thin" at first listen.  And now, it's so damn warm and full. 

Listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn at the moment, SACD, "Tin Pan Alley" from the Texas Flood CD.  I'm very impressed at this point.  Can't wait for more hours under the hood.

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 09:45:23 AM
Nice going!  Once it all settles in I'm sure you'll be a very happy camper.  And then the Eros? Oh yeah!

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Br1ck

Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 03:14:00 PM
Holy Crap! It gets better? I'm on hour two of mine and am stunned. One of the many joys of this kit is the quality of the boards. You can apply enough heat to flow the solder without worry. I would also not skimp on the quality of one's soldering iron. Get a really good one and life becomes easier.

My Stereomour worked from the get go. The only hitch was I had a tube socket in backwards which I found while putting the tubes in. Stupid mistake that I found before powering up. I was also short red wire by about 8 inches even though I measured every wire. I had plenty of the same gauge in my stash so it was not an issue. I also had some longer screws I used for mounting the chokes and output trannys. Made life easier.

The SET world is a wonderful thing.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 05:46:40 PM
Cool, it's fun isn't it.

Post a pic...John

John S.