Record (LP) Vendor Recommendations

Grainger49 · 3490

Offline Grainger49

on: November 29, 2010, 09:59:43 AM
I want everyone to recommend a shop that you find worth recommending.  I'm putting this in General because the Phono description doesn't seem to fit.

I was in Atlanta for Thanksgiving.  So was poster Paully.  He and I visited several used LP shops.  Some had new vinyl at high prices.  They are not worth mentioning.  They charged more than internet vendors for new current production vinyl.

The #1 place we visited was Wuxtry Records, Decatur.  It is on the corner of North Decatur Rd and Clairmont Rd.  The address is 2096 N. Decatur Rd. Decatur Ga, the phone number is 404-329-0020 and they have a Facebook page.  

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Decatur-GA/Wuxtry-Records/88742854329

I think if you call asking for an album he will look and see if it is in stock.  I don't know if he keeps a running catalog.

The LPs were reasonably priced, most $3 to $10, clean and the jackets were not severely worn like some of the other shops we visited.

Anyone else have recommendations?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:14:16 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline Wanderer

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 02:52:44 PM
My local used LP shop...and they have a web presence as well.

http://www.lastvestige.com/

Last Vestige
173 Quail Street
Albany, NY 12203-1254
(518) 432-7736

Rock, Jazz, Pop, Folk, County, Soundtrack and Spoken Word but nearly zero Classical.  

Most stuff $5 to $10 and few rarities are higher. Some new sealed pressings and they will order anything in print. There are $3 and $1 bins and one sometimes gets luckly with the LPs in there. CDs too.  

I have gotten some NM classical in the $1 bin. Recently a NM- Cowboy Junkies "Trintiy Sessions" for $6 and lots of Coltrane, Miles and etc. from the Jazz bins averaging circa $8 a pop.  I got Duke Elligton, "Anatomy of a  Murder" in mono ($10) and Stereo ($8), both six eye Columbias in VG nicely playable shape.    

Kevin R-M      
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:17:10 PM by Wanderer »

Kevin R-M

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 03:19:04 PM
Back in Washington there is a great little store in Port Townsend called Quimper Sound. It's a cool little shop with some used LP's and a few new ones. In the back there's a dedicated blues/jazz room in what used to be an old bank record vault. Espresso and posters too.

Where I am now there's a large antiques mall with one dealer who has been a collector for most of his life and just puts duplicates and unwanted records up for sale. At last count there were about 9000 albums in there, all from 0.25 to 10 dollars. It's really a wonderful collection, with more actual LP's than Easy Street in Seattle.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 05:21:43 PM
Ah shucks Max, now they all know about Quimper Sound. Been shopping there for years. Not a huge selection, nor great turnover in the LPs, but they do get interesting stuff in now and then, and it's a neat little store with reasonable prices on the used stuff. I usually pick up an LP or two whenever I go up there.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline SteveH

Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 03:16:58 AM
If any of you happen to visit Canada's capital, Legend Records (1315 Wellington Street) is a great place to spend an afternoon digging through tons of vinyl.  They're in the 'trendy' part of Ottawa, not too far from a few decent restaurants/coffee shops, hidden in a basement.  I typically dig through their unsorted, ungraded, 6 for $10 bins and often find some interesting stuff.

SteveH

Offline denti alligator

Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 04:32:22 AM
There's a decent record shop in Athens, GA downtown (I forget the name). New and used at good prices, good selection, and good condition.

Back in the early '90s I bought a ton of excellent quality vinyl for dirt cheap at Poo-Bah's in Pasadena, CA. Don't know if they're still as good as back then.

Occasionally you can get lucky with online vendors. I mainly buy new vinyl now, but have recently scored with a NM copy of Beefheart's Doc at the Radar Station from a seller at amazon.com for only $10.

NYC's used vinyl stores are almost all gone. Save for Downtown Music Gallery, but that's jazz only.  So much has disappeared and gone online. And prices have sky-rocketed, too. It's too bad.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline booangler

• My first love! Not Me... Fishing!!!
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 02:13:34 PM
My favorite is a local shop, The Bop Shop. The owner Tom is a friendly guy who collects on his own, and all the employees are collectors as well. I am not saying that this place is for collectors only, it is just plain hard to stump these guys with questions. Check them out they have an online store. Currently showing two James Brown LPs as recent additions. They host two record shows a year that attract lots of buyers as well as sellers from all over the northeast. Fun times.

Cheers, Alan
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:22:21 PM by booangler »

The joy of music should never be interrupted by a commercial - Leonard Bernstein

Denon POA | PJCCS Quickie | Hagerman Bugle | SOTA Sapphire w/ Grado Gold | B&W 602

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 02:18:00 PM
Coming soon to this space.  I might be working at a soon to open used record shop.  I have been buying from Jay since 1990 so I trust his vinyl.  Paully has bought from his concessions here in town often too.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:21:04 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline dgb

Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 10:33:25 PM
princeton record exchange, tulane off nassau street. princeton nj
the albm hunter, maple shade nj

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 02:15:25 AM
Ok, it is official now. Raven Records & Rarities is open on Kingston Pike in Knoxville.  (old Bearden area)

Jay's LPs need dusting but rarely have fingerprints or worse on them.  Prices are $5-8 for normal LPs.  Audiophile pressings are usually under $15.  I saw a Harry James, Sheffield, yesterday for $8.

I will post a number and actual street address soon.

Offline ssssly

Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 11:23:35 AM
Are a few really nice records shops over here in Okinawa. I generally go to this little one called RT66. Records are graded very well. Bit pricier than most little shops in the states, but its Japan, everything is expensive. Usually have the Janaese and American pressings of most popular classic rock and has a good selection of surf, blues and jazz. The surf stuff is about twice the price as anything else for some weird reason though. So if anyone is looking for a Japanese pressing let me know and I'll take a look for you. Always willing to hook up a fellow Bottlehead.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 04:31:50 PM
And I finally got the contact information for the post two above this one:

RAVEN RECORDS & RARITIES 5710 Kingston Pike. (865-558-0066)  Noon to 7, Tues through Sat. Closed Sun, Mon.

Offline debk

Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 04:54:24 PM
In Rochester NY there is a used record shop call the Bop shop.  Last time was in Rochester I went there and picked up 8 or 9 LPs

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers