BH car amp

xcortes · 3464

Offline xcortes

on: January 28, 2010, 07:59:58 AM
Is the car amp an idea that we can genuinely expect to materialize someday?

On the same lines: what would be the problem(s) of placing a mainline BH amp in the trunk of the car and connecting it to a "pure sine wave" inverter? Heat? Microphonics? None of the above?

Xavier Cortes

Offline ssssly

Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 01:15:33 AM
The first issue that comes to mind for me is speaker efficiency. Car audio largely relies on forcing large amounts of wattage into very inefficient speakers and enclosures to compensate for the lack of space in a car. Car audio speakers have also evolved to be very power hungry with huge magnets and super stiff suspensions.

The few manufacturers that I have seen that attempted in car tube gear implemented huge push pull amps. All of which encountered problems with excessive heat production in addition to sketchy sound due to vibration related tube microphonics.

You could probably make a system that would sound good while the car was sitting still but it probably wouldn't cut it once you started driving around.

That being said, I implore you to ignore my pessimism, give it a shot, and let me know how it works out for you. I would suggest using high efficiency speakers suitable for open baffle configurations and a huge bass horn in the trunk that can play well into the mid range (at least 3-400hz) since you will get almost no bass out of open baffle speakers in a car door that near field.

Offline xcortes

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:11:02 AM
I implore you to ignore my pessimism, give it a shot, and let me know how it works out for you. I would suggest using high efficiency speakers suitable for open baffle configurations

I already have a pair of Altec 775s so efficiency shouldn't be an issue. And I'm planning on putting them using the trunk as a box indeed. That should probably get me down to the 50s hz, more than enough for me.

There's these guys from Milbert that have been very successful with their push-pull amps claiming long life and no microphonics. They have been selling the amps for many years so they should do something right. I'm leaning towards one of them but I don't mind at all buying some "old shool" (that's how the car audio guys name them) cheapo SS amp while waiting for a BH product, if there's chances it will happen eventually.

Xavier Cortes

Offline Mikey

• Analog Engineering
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 10:37:55 AM
Hi Xavier,

As far as I know, Milbert is the only game in town for a true vacuum tube amp.
However, there are good hybrid alternatives out there, like the Tru Technology Copper series (no longer in production):

http://www.trutechnology.com/products/copper/c74_t.htm

I've used their products in the past, and John Yi is one of the good guys in car audio.
Prototype installation photo below:

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi3.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fy80%2Fmpaschetto%2FGMC%2520Truck%2FP8090014.jpg&hash=4d48a6e0c04b5eced822a7b139d9efdd399178f1)

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi3.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fy80%2Fmpaschetto%2FGMC%2520Truck%2FDSC05737.jpg&hash=546090f1fb1e27d0aa474cc89a094ffa5cc269ee)

I'm sure Paul B. will chime in with a few other suggestions.....

Mike
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:33:52 PM by Mikey »

Mike Paschetto

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 10:14:03 AM

I'm sure Paul B. will chime in with a few other suggestions.....

Yeah, the idea has been kicking around a bit.  Tru Tech had a push-pull EL84 amp in the copper series, but form factor and heat is always an issue.  (The Milbert amps are large with perforated chassis).  If you have the space, I would start by trying a power inverter and a 300B amp to see how you like it.  I will probably end up doing a 4 channel push-pull amp with 15 volt filament tubes, and lots of them.  It seems like I can get enough B+ off an inverter to an isolation transformer, and a doubler...

I wouldn't bother using tube amps for the bass.  In a setup I had some time ago, I had a 4 channel amp with 15 watts per channel driving midwoofs/tweets and a very, very large subwoofer amp.  Despite the power differences, the midwoof/tweeter combo was efficient enough that it wasn't a problem. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline pboser

Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 11:07:28 AM
Let's not forget Bob Danielak's tube amp in his Fiat x1/9 at NY Noise in 2001!  It was a variant of his Darling amp, IIRC.  There's a little picture here: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/nynoise2001/secondgroup.htm , but I thought there was more on the enjoythemusic.com site.  Also can't find Bob's site, because it was formerly on Geocities, which is now gone.

Peter Boser

Offline xcortes

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 10:28:17 AM
Thanks guys.

I have enough parts to rebuild my Parabees so it looks like a nice project. I've read about the hybrids Tru Tech and should be nice. I also came across the US Amps hybrid and isn't that expensive to use while building/testing/repairing, etc the DIY amps. You familiar with them?

At least they are good at wording what to me seems like a voltage amplifier followed by a buffer:

You may know that a transistor is a
modern, efficient, less expensive version of
a vacuum tube, which is the device that made
sound recording and reproduction possible in the
first place. Now, the electronics industry has been
trying for many years to equal the sound quality available from tubes. They have
been able to make transistor amps louder, cooler, more abusable, and less expensive
than tubes, but to this day, they
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:39:18 AM by xcortes »

Xavier Cortes

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 11:27:22 AM
Xavier,

Cool Player ! ! !

Reading the clip you attached, I would say your assessment is far more on the nose than I would have come up with.  Sounds like a cathode follower, low gain all current drive, to me.

I'm probably wrong but I have always heard the voltage gain in most amps are in the driver stage(s).  I have heard that most output stages increase the "current drive" of the amp.

Like I said, I will probably be proved to be wrong.  

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 06:01:25 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline TheSparkle

Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 05:38:12 AM
I wonder what how a car system would sound with pre-outs running through a Quickie preamp then on to the rest of the system...