streaming internet music

aragorn723 · 3574

Offline corndog71

Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 09:47:47 AM
Download speed should always be bigger than upload. 

I've listened to spotiify and found it kinda lifeless but that was just one listening session.  Streaming music is a great idea but streaming compressed music is just asking for trouble in my opinion.  Then again I've listened to itunes radio which is also compressed and it sounded fine. 

The variable recording quality is and always will be a factor.  So too it seems with the playback delivery systems.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline pnooud

Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 10:01:01 AM
Hi All,

It worth noting that you need to turn on the high quality audio setting on spotify, its off by default; the same goes for deezer.  To my ears I can't hear a difference between the streaming services and cd, I did a comparison to deezer before putting my cds in the loft  :)

I used to say I preferred the sound of deezer to spotify, but a recent back to back comparison think the difference has closed.

I hadn't heard of Tidal before you mentioned it, just signing up for the 7 day trial now  8)

Offline pnooud

Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 11:39:49 AM
Just been having a listen to a few tracks on Tidal and comparing them with deezer.

It seems to depend on the album, but there is a bit of an improvement listening on Tidal, especially with some newer albums, for example I can't tell a lot of a difference with Radioheads creep, or Van Morrison's Moondance, but can hear it a little diference on Nathaniel Rateliff, Once In A Great While.

It also occurred to me I put my cds away before I had my HD600s and Crack; I am going to have to get them back out again I think :)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 12:47:03 PM
A number of friends were posting about Tidal on FB.  I got to their site and asked what resolution they used.  It is 44.1/16.  Or CD quality.

Offline Mordicai

Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 11:05:26 AM
I don't know Pnooud, When I got my HD600 and build my modded Crack. my CD's started to sound terrible compared to some ressed up downloads from the internet. Every once in a while I find a 44.,16 file that sounds good but mostly everything is 96 or more. I still buy CD's of music not available elsewhere but am always wishing I had a clearer sound.

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 07:46:38 AM
Wow thanks to this thread i saved a lot of money! Its amazing what you can learn on this forum. I can use my old squeezebox that i love so much with tidal and mac mini and the new DAC!

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC