whoa!

willspeed · 4149

Offline willspeed

• Tropically Twisted
on: November 22, 2010, 10:27:01 AM
I finished putting together my amp last Friday, and found I had no sound in the left channel - ended up being one of the RCA jacks - small short between the center post and the outside.

I have to say, the sound is amazing. I have a pair of the SEXy speakers (8" front firing subs instead of the 10") which I had tested with another amp (Technics integrated amp) and I thought the speakers sounded good. I was not prepared for the sound that this amp puts out. This is one helluva product!

Now, to install the C4S boards. ;)

Will G.

S.E.X. w/C4S driving SEXy speakers
Seduction w/C4S
Quickie 1.1/ PJCCS
Rega Planar 2 / R200 Tonearm / Ortofon 2M Red / RB250 Tonearm / Ortofon 2M Blue
Tode / Taylor 110 / Taylor 214ce / 94 Tele Tex-Mex Special / Home-hacked Squire Strat / 86 Guild F46NT / Which one next?

Offline JC

Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 11:27:26 AM
The SEX amp is quite the little over-achiever, isn't it?

Jim C.

Offline willspeed

• Tropically Twisted
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 01:06:50 PM
No kidding! My girlfriend walked in from work and sat down to listen with me. Her first comment was "wow, that sounds amazing". Looks like we're heading in the right direction.

Will G.

Seduction w/C4S
Quickie 1.1/ PJCCS
Tode / Taylor 110 / Taylor 214ce / 94 Tele Tex-Mex Special / Home-hacked Squire Strat / 86 Guild F46NT / Which one next?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 01:12:42 PM
No kidding! My girlfriend walked in from work and sat down to listen with me. Her first comment was "wow, that sounds amazing". Looks like we're heading in the right direction.

That is a keeper!

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 04:06:30 PM
Which one, the amp or the girlfriend, Grainger? Or both? :D

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 04:30:18 PM
Thanks for the positive words! And, just wait until the parts are broken in!!

Seriously, many people find that caps and transformers actually get a little worse over the first 10 hours or so, sounding thin and weak - kind of constricted, if that means anything. Then it opens up, often seemingly in steps, until 50 hours of music have passed. It will open a bit more after than, and exotic caps can take longer, but that's been my most common experience.

It was some 16 years ago that Dave D. first made a 6DN7 amp, slapping it together at a VALVE club meeting, and it blew us all away. It morphed into the first Bottlehead product, and we've always had a great fondness for this tube. I call it the "poor man's 45". There was actually a run on the tube, and prices got pretty high, after the first SEX amp became popular; fortunately the tides of fashion have drifted in other directions since and there's a pretty reliable supply of them out there these days.

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 12:32:07 AM
Which one, the amp or the girlfriend, Grainger? Or both? :D

I meant the girlfriend but the amp too.

Offline willspeed

• Tropically Twisted
Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 04:12:17 AM
Thankfully they're BOTH keepers! :D

Will G.

Seduction w/C4S
Quickie 1.1/ PJCCS

Offline willspeed

• Tropically Twisted
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 02:05:15 PM
Ok, my dumb @$$ fried a tube. Connected the C4S upgrade to A6 instead of A5 (d'oh!) and severely crippled a tube. I just got a matched pair to replace, and I'm enjoying the glorious sound. :)

Lesson for me: TEST THRICE! Plug in once.

Current source: 160GB Classic iPod, playing Seasick Steve, "Doghouse Music".

Will G.

Seduction w/C4S
Quickie 1.1/ PJCCS

Offline JC

Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 04:01:32 PM
I don't think your dumb @$$ is the first to do this!

With the understanding that it is relatively new, how are you liking the C4S in the SEX so far?

Jim C.

Offline willspeed

• Tropically Twisted
Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 01:38:21 AM
I really like the upgrade. I had an almost imperceptible amount of noise in the background without (not saying that it wasn't awesome), but with it I hear (or don't?) the improvement. With a source plugged in an in pause, I was turning the amp from 0-Full Blast and I could hear *nothing* from the speakers. The bass response is a bit crisper - the sound is more balanced.

I'm still at a stage of burning in the components - especially since I just installed the new tubes. Another good listen after 8 hours or so will let me get another feel for the sound.

However, I had a buddy over tonight and he was floored. I know I still am. :D

Will G.

Seduction w/C4S
Quickie 1.1/ PJCCS

Offline willspeed

• Tropically Twisted
Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 01:52:25 AM
Oh, and the amp showed me how crappy this USB powered phono preamp is! I hope the Seduction is here today :)

Will G.

Seduction w/C4S
Quickie 1.1/ PJCCS