Any issues with mounting pt2 undr chassis plate?

Jim R. · 1251

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: October 01, 2013, 04:31:27 PM
I was just wondering if there would be any issues with mounting the PT2 transformer under a chassis plate instead of on top. In other words, a clean look with nothing but the transformer cover and tubes on top. I' guessing that the magnetic nulls will line up even better with this arrangement, but not sure about that. Also, as I will build y onw bases, vertical clearance is not going to be an issue.

Thanks for any input,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 05:03:49 PM
Heat my friend! Heat....

Aaron Johnson

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 03:20:26 AM
Aaron,

Good point but I would be sure to allow for both adequate  rising heat and cross ventilation -- I'm also building the chassis boxes as well so can easily take care of that, but it is certainly important. It may also be a good idea to make a finned heatsin for the top of the cover.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 05:40:05 AM
Regarding the change of position nd how it affects noise, I think you're just going to have to try it. Any time you create your own layout you are sort of starting over on how the magnetic fields are going to interact. Small shifts can make audible differences. So it's a little hard to say how lowering the trans will affect things. Distance is always good, so if it brings it closer to other components it might not be so good. But if it puts those components into a place where the radiated field of the transformer is of lower magnitude, it could be better.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.