Weird Voltages in new Quickie with PJCCS (Solved)

J. Mauro · 1190

Offline J. Mauro

on: October 14, 2013, 02:22:12 PM
I built the Quickie over the last 2 days along with preparing the PJCCS. When I completed the Q, I checked resistances and voltages and they were approximately correct. Unfortunately, I did not write them all down. Nothing jumped out as off or out of the norm however.
With that done, I decided to add the PJCCS. It went off without a hitch. I checked resistance and it was perfect at every terminal and on the rotary switch. However, the voltages are off. They are:

Ia   37.7 V
Ib   37.7 V

A5  280 mV
B5  1.847 V

A6  308 mV
B6  22.94 V

A2  37.4 V
B2  22.92 V

Then, I switched the tubes around and got the following voltages:

Ia  37.7 V
Ib  37.7 V

A5  1.864 V
B5  280 mV

A6  23.07 V
B6  37.44 V

A2  23.07 V
B2  310 mV

I have gone through each solder joint, step by step through the instructions and it all seems to be right. I have a feeling this might be a bad tube but it is odd that my voltages were fine before the PJCCS and off after it, but only on one side and it follows the one tube. Please give me some advice. Thanks very much in advance.

Jeremy Mauro
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:39:30 AM by J. Mauro »

Jeremy Mauro

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 07:46:12 AM
Pins 2 and 6 are internally connected in the tube.  It may be the case that this connection in one of your tubes is broken.  You can check this by yanking each tube out and measuring the DC resistance between pins 2 and 6 on each tube (it should be very low).

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline J. Mauro

Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 07:57:33 AM
Thank you so much for replying PB. I will check that as soon as I get home. Is there anything else that could be the issue? I was very gentle with the tubes as always. I wonder why it worked for the first round of voltages and then not after I installed the PJCCS. Thank you again.

Jeremy Mauro

Jeremy Mauro

Offline J. Mauro

Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 09:39:02 AM
Checked the resistance between pins 2 and 6, one tube was perfect, the other read overload, too high to read. Therefore, I have a bad tube. Thanks for the help, PB.

Jeremy Mauro

Jeremy Mauro