Outboard AC power supply?

bundee1 · 10705

Offline bundee1

on: April 13, 2010, 04:14:25 PM
Has anyone built one for their quickie or know of a site that has building instructions? I feel bad about the batteries going in the trash.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 05:10:28 PM
Why are you throwing batteries in the trash?

RECYCLE!

The low noise of the Quickie might be compromised by going to a potentially more noisy AC supply. You might consider changing over to rechargeable batteries.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 08:31:54 PM
I know I've been disappointed about chargers - the best technology just isn't there for the Quickie battery complement. But there are OK chargers that will handle two D-cells and two 9-v batteries, some of them at the same time. Given the (relatively) long battery life of a Quickie, that would make pretty good sense if you are using it frequently.

Paul Joppa

Offline ssssly

Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 09:37:23 PM
This actually just reminded me of an idea that I had a while ago about using a laptop battery and charger for a DC heater power supply. Was a while ago so I don't remember the exact specs but there are some laptop batteries that can put out some pretty hefty voltages. They are kind of spendy though.

Offline paulw

• 2A3 = Music
    • My Hobby Site
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 10:13:25 PM
Well based on the fact that it took just 81 hours for the 4 x 9v cells (but these were the cheapest I could find) to drop to under 20v combined - sounds OK though perhaps a bit 'thick or dense' sounding - I will be going down the rechargeable route.  The 'D' cells are still showing just under 1.3v so will probably not bother with rechargeable's for those.

Paul

PS. There are dedicated chargers that will take 4 x 9v cells and charge within a few hours - quick search on the web

edit to change link to a US onehttp://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=364
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:48:48 PM by paulw »

Paul Williams
Acoustic Signature Challenger (with 3 arms) Entre SUT+Seduction, Smash(out) & Quickie(in again), Paramour II's, 7 Pi Corner Horns or Quad 44, Quad 405-2 & Videoton Minimax GB3.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 12:28:31 AM
This subject of charging batteries for the Quickie was thrashed out back in November.  The thread here:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,166.0.html

Most important were PJ's posts on rechargeable D cells.  Real rechargeable D cells are hard to find.  He also mentions that the lower voltage rating for rechargeable will not be a problem.

All batteries have a rating that reflects how many amps they can deliver for an hour (or portion of an amp for hours).  The bug-a-boo with the D cells was that the amp-hour rating showed that they were really AA cells in a D cell case.  

Paulw has experienced some disappointing amp-hour results with cheap batteries.  I don't find this surprising.  What is, is that expensive batteries can also disappoint.

I guess a thread in Quickie on battery life reports would be in order.  I think I will do that.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:57:10 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline paulw

• 2A3 = Music
    • My Hobby Site
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 12:51:40 AM

Paulw has experienced some disappointing amp-hour results with cheap batteries.  I don't find this surprising.  What is, is that expensive batteries can also disappoint.

I guess a thread in Quickie on battery life reports would be in order.  I think I will do that.

I'll be able to tell if this is a one off or more reflective of cheap batteries as I have a further 2 sets of 4.  Also I've not bothered to fit the PJCCS board yet either.  I know I'll be going down the recharge route - probably the charger I posted in the above link and 9.2v cells.

Paul

Paul Williams
Acoustic Signature Challenger (with 3 arms) Entre SUT+Seduction, Smash(out) & Quickie(in again), Paramour II's, 7 Pi Corner Horns or Quad 44, Quad 405-2 & Videoton Minimax GB3.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 01:20:55 AM
Paul,

I started a thread.  Please post if you remember what the first set you used was:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,615.0.html

I wonder if the PJCCS will use batteries faster?  I guess it should as it uses more energy.  It may not be noticeable.

If I reread the other post I might remember which die first the heaters or the "high" voltage.  Will that end up getting the two out of sync?  I mean, will you be charging the heater D cells one week and the 9V batteries the next?  How do you tell if one is out and the other isn't?

Hey, you are either up late, Pacific time, or up early too (Eastern time).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:23:56 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline IceOgre

Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 04:50:13 AM
This looks like a good deal.  There are enough batteries included to have some ready in reserve...

http://www.amazon.com/IC-Controlled-Universal-Battery-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001ALYPPY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271256149&sr=8-3

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 07:32:26 PM
You guys are amazing! Thanks for the posts - that's at least two good chargers for 9-v batteries that will do the whole stack in one go.

Paul Joppa