Moreplay preamp right channel problem

vpeele · 1208

Offline vpeele

on: June 20, 2023, 11:29:59 AM
Hello All!,
  I think I tracked my right channel problem to my Moreplay Preamplifier. The right channel goes dead sometimes. I tried switching tubes on the Moreplay, that did not help. I tried switching to another old phono preamp(bottlehead) and the right channel is still quit. I just removed the phono preamp and turntable, plugged a CD player into the Moreplay. Still no right channel. I just tapped the top of the right channel tube on the Moreplay. I heard a loud pop from the right speaker and now I have the right channel back. It sounds great. Playing foe about a half hour and I can hear some intermittent crackling from the right speaker along with the music. Should I send the the Moreplay to Mr. Paul for repairs??
 Thanks to You all for any help,
van

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 04:07:17 PM
You have a bad solder joint. This is something you should be able to fix without having to send it in. Start by hooking up the preamp and running it upside down. Take something non-conductive like a wooden chopstick and poke around at the connections until you find the one that makes the crackle and pop. Resolder and you should be good to go.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline vpeele

Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 09:16:03 AM
Hello Dr. Dan,
  Problem solved! You were correct! I flipped the Moreplay over(power on) and tapped the tube socket connections with a tooth pick and heard the crackle within five seconds. I found loose connections and another wire that was totally loose elsewhere. I re-soldered all and now no crackles. I watched your excellent Solder Video and I ordered a new solder station today.
 Thank You for All of your Help!
  Best,
    van

Offline vpeele

Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 07:24:16 AM
Hello All,
  Part of the same problem of no sound in one channel. I checked my turntable cartridge lead wires and discover two were loose. I tighten all wires and now both channels have sound.
Thank You All!!!,
 van

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 10:55:12 AM
Well done!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.