JJ 2A3-40 currently not warrantied for BH amps..other recommendations?[resolved]

HiFiC · 13267

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
I have been using the Eurotubes JJ 2A3-40's in my custom BH stereo amp for two years now and they are still singing sweetly with full power. I haven't asked Paul Birkeland yet if my amp has the soft-start circuit or not.
You're cap coupled, so the soft start circuit wasn't necessary. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline HiFiC

Dan and PB, I talked with Jay at Eurotubes today about this thread, and he said they'd be happy to talk with you guys more about what they've experienced in terms of failures with BH amps.  Their number is 503-659-7401, if you guys want to get in touch.  Dying to get my Stereomour back up and running, so I'll be picking up some other tubes in the mean time, but it would be great to better understand what, if any, issue there is with the JJ's for the next time I feel the itch to do some tube rolling.  Thanks for being willing to jump in on this conversation!

Offline Williston

I'm just going to jump in here and mention that I've had a pair of JJ 2A3s in my Paramour IIs for about 2.5 years with zero problems. Bought them at Amplified Parts (Antique Electronic Supply, I think). I loved the sound right out of the gate compared to the stock Sovteks—much cleaner, clearer and brighter it seems to me.

Peter

Peter Lindman
6SN7 Foreplay III
Paramour II
S.E.X. Amp
Rega P-25 TT

Offline Thoburn

Dan and PB, I talked with Jay at Eurotubes today about this thread, and he said they'd be happy to talk with you guys more about what they've experienced in terms of failures with BH amps.  Their number is 503-659-7401, if you guys want to get in touch.  Dying to get my Stereomour back up and running, so I'll be picking up some other tubes in the mean time, but it would be great to better understand what, if any, issue there is with the JJ's for the next time I feel the itch to do some tube rolling.  Thanks for being willing to jump in on this conversation!

I would love to get a pair for my Stereomour . Tube Depot is selling them. I didn't read anything about BH gear on their warrantee page. Did anyone from BH talk to Eurotubes about this problem?

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
PJ will be talking to them in the near future. It is still not clear to me that there is a problem, as the only scenario we have any details of is from one user in a fairly narrow time frame.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
I spoke with the technical guy (Eddie) at Eurotubes today. So far as I understand it the only problem they have actually seen was with Paramounts in the direct coupled 2A3 version, and it sounds similar to the problems that led to the soft-start which is now standard on that amp. It seems that at least one of their customers does have the soft start board and still had the problem, so there are still some questions. Further testing will be done by Eurotubes and/or JJ on the "bad" tubes - that information will help us understand what happened more clearly. Both Bottlehead and Eurotubes are in contact and will keep each other up to date; we will post news when we have it.

So far, I believe there should be no unusual problems with Stereomours, and no such problems with soft-start Paramounts either unless the 20-minute rest after shutdown is ignored. Eurotubes will update their warranty policy as more is learned, so if you want to use those tubes check for the current status before ordering.

Paul Joppa

Offline rusty-jade

I had a new tube failure with the JJ 2A3-40 some years ago on another amp. They were very nice and sent me a replacement but I was not sure whether the problem was the tube or the amp.  I am currently using the Stereomour as a 45 tube amp and have used the JJ 2A3 as a 45 tube w/o problems, but I find it is nosier than the normal 45 tubes or the stock Sovtek 2A3  ( a slight ringing noise).  I am thinking of changing the Stereomour circuit back to 2A3, and will either use the JJ or if there is a problem, I will get a pair of standard Shuguangs. 

Offline Mordicai

Just want to let folks know that I received an e-mail from eurotubes letting me know that they will now warranty the JJ 2a3-40 for use in the Stereomour.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Excellent news! Thanks for the update.

Paul Joppa

Offline HiFiC

Fantastic!  Thanks to those at Bottlehead who helped sort out the issue with Eurotubes.  I'll be in Portland on Monday and still haven't replaced the tubes in my Stereomour.  I think I'll swing by Eurotubes and pick me up a set of JJ's!

Offline mkane

I'll give em' a try also.

kevner21

im not a techy or an engineer . However I've had other amps with JJ tubes , namely the EL509 JJ and the EL34/6ca7  amps made , or built by me or a very reputable company. these tubes have failed miserably time after time. Me thinking that the JJ2A3-40 was way overbuilt for the stereomour, went and bought 2 with the blessing of most people on this forum . and surprise I bought 2 from Eurotube , and have not had a problem with them in the 2A3 version or the 45version which I now use , but with 45 tubes. Tubes fail and if the stereomour test out good there should be no problems. buy more sovteks, seems you liked them anyway!!!

Offline sharpi31

I had one JJ 2A3-40 fail after about one month. Nothing dramatic - just one channel died. No issues since going back to Shuguang 2A3C.

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Good to hear that Eurotubes and Bottlehead have resolved the issue. My pair from them are still singing sweetly and powerfully now for two years.  Cheers, Hank in Eugene

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
I had one JJ 2A3-40 fail after about one month. Nothing dramatic - just one channel died. No issues since going back to Shuguang 2A3C.
Can you provide any more details? Was is sudden and complete, or did it fade out? Did the filament still glow after it died? Any other observations?

Paul Joppa