JJ 2A3-40 currently not warrantied for BH amps..other recommendations?[resolved]

HiFiC · 13264

Offline Natural Sound

im not a techy or an engineer . However I've had other amps with JJ tubes , namely the EL509 JJ and the EL34/6ca7  amps made , or built by me or a very reputable company. these tubes have failed miserably time after time. Me thinking that the JJ2A3-40 was way overbuilt for the stereomour, went and bought 2 with the blessing of most people on this forum . and surprise I bought 2 from Eurotube , and have not had a problem with them in the 2A3 version or the 45version which I now use , but with 45 tubes. Tubes fail and if the stereomour test out good there should be no problems. buy more sovteks, seems you liked them anyway!!!

??? I didn't know that JJ made 45's.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
??? I didn't know that JJ made 45's.
They don't.

Paul Joppa

kevner21

no sorry ,like mr. Joppa said they don't. Went to the 45 conversion..........wont comment on the 45 tube here!

Offline HiFiC

Quick update to close out this thread.  Had a quick 2 day vacation to Portland last week and called EuroTubes before I left home to set up an appointment to pick up a pair of the 2A3-40's while I was down there.  Eddie (the EuroTubes tech) hadn't seen a Stereomour in person, so asked me to bring my amp down so he could look it over and take a listen.

Dropped it off on Monday afternoon at their small shop in a Portland residential suburb, and it was clear that Eddie and the rest of the crew have a passion for tubes and tube amps, in the same way that Bottlehead has a passion for their amp products and Blumenstein with their handcrafted speakers.  Most of the Eurotubes business revolves around guitar amps, but they also support and enjoy the hi-fi scene as well.

Picked up the amp on Tuesday before heading back to Seattle.  Eddie had installed the new JJ tubes and also tightened a couple loose nuts (must've come loose on the drive down in my old vibration-ridden diesel truck).  I missed the listening session he had with the amp since I arrived just before they closed, but he gave a favorable review.  He also suggested a JJ ECC81 input tube for $16 since the stock tube was measuring 10% out of balance, so I figured why not.

After hooking it up at home to my Orcas, my overall impression is noticeably more definition from top to bottom.  Brighter (but not shrill) highs without any compromise to the low end.  Bass is, without a doubt, more defined.  The JJ's provide a different sound and overall, in my book, a substantial and cost-worthy improvement.  The Stereomour with Sovteks was wonderful, but the JJ 2A3-40's have definitely kicked it up a notch.  I'm a happy customer.  That's with the stock 12AT7 tube and with just a few hours on the 2A3-40's.  I'll install the JJ ECC81 in the next few days for comparison.

I'll note that the 2A3-40's have stunning looks, as well.  Taller and wider than the Sovteks.  Sufficiently elegant such that my wife voiced her approval.  The branding is on the ceramic base of the tube, too, rather than on the glass, which I like.  With the way the pin sockets are oriented on the Stereomour, the branding ends up facing mostly to the rear, so can't be seen from the front of the amp.

Again, huge thanks to the Bottlehead crew for making contact with Eurotubes to sort out the concerns.

A few photos of the new tubes in my Stereomour below.  The ECC81 was installed after the first photo to show the full complement of JJ's, but I haven't listened to it yet.

(https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-eApTm0g9DB8/VK7ABgR4thI/AAAAAAAACMg/P0qkDJ8tv6g/s640/IMG_9182.JPG)

(https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-mvkvdi_NCEw/VK7ACKXXl7I/AAAAAAAACMo/PjXzsdZj_TY/s640/IMG_9183.JPG)

(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-35SXGj3iJzc/VK7ACRKzy_I/AAAAAAAACM0/41TrIOrgHwA/s640/IMG_9184.JPG)

(https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-GRHAGYImwHE/VK7ACyZcCeI/AAAAAAAACM4/-lAMl1PZ8g4/s640/IMG_9186.JPG)

Offline mkane

Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 07:20:44 AM
  I placed an order for these 3 tubes and no questions asked. Looking forward to these.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:21:33 AM by Doc B. »

Offline Thoburn

Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 10:16:36 AM
  I placed an order for these 3 tubes and no questions asked. Looking forward to these.

I just ordered a pair of the JJ 2A3-40s and one of their pre-amp tube damping rings. For $4 it is worth giving it a try. I'm going to stick with my Mullard tube for the time being.

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline mkane

^^^^^^^^^^^^Your set ups similar to mine. Same, VPI, DV, Musical surroundings, Stereomour.

Offline Thoburn

^^^^^^^^^^^^Your set ups similar to mine. Same, VPI, DV, Musical surroundings, Stereomour.

Cool! Have you made a sandbox isolation table for the VPI? I found the plans for one awhile back and it made a noticeable improvement. The wood box sits on hand balls cut in half. A polycarbonate sheet sits on the sand. I sealed the polycarbonate to box gap with wool felt. I attached a photo. Hopefully it will upload.

Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline mkane

Interesting, thanks

Offline mkane

Reply #39 on: February 04, 2015, 02:19:20 PM
  They arrived today and they are quite a step up from the stock tubes. They mellowed out the briteness of the Cornwall's and really gave the mid range a kick in the pants. I'm impressed. Less that an hour's playtime.

Offline mkane

I'm ruined by the SET side of things. I've had a pp el34 amp out on loan for a few months and it came back today. I put it back in rotation and it's nice but thin/less detailed and a bit in your face sounding. I'm going to leave it and see if my wife figures it out. Kind of like a $25 bottle of wine compared to a $60 bottle.

Offline marantzfan

Sorry bout that.  Forgot to mention the side effects of SET before you joined the fray.  ;)

I'll try to save you from future "ruinedness"".  Whatever you do, do not get a pair of Altec Duplexes!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:12:07 PM by marantzfan »

BeePre, Paramounts 1.1, Eros, Thorens TD-124/AudioMods Tonearm/Ortofon 2M Black, IFI Micro Idsd, HQPlayer,  Altec 604-8G Duplex/620 Cabinets/Markwart Crossovers

S.E.X. 2.1, AKG K701

Offline mkane

^^^that's the guy who sold his Stereomour to me.

Offline Thoburn

Reply #43 on: February 23, 2015, 05:19:06 PM
  They arrived today and they are quite a step up from the stock tubes. They mellowed out the briteness of the Cornwall's and really gave the mid range a kick in the pants. I'm impressed. Less that an hour's playtime.

I've had my JJ 2A3-40 tubes now for awhile and can say I really, no I really really like them!

Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline mkane

+1 and we have intergated a Quickie into the fray.