Why did I wait so long ???

Mucker · 677

Offline Mucker

on: July 29, 2022, 04:17:22 PM
I just completed a Moreplay to pair with my Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 power amp. I went with a flat black top plate and bell; I think it compliments the amp well.

The build took me about two solid 8 hour shifts.

I started with the stock tubes which are very good. Then I switched over to  RCA JAN 6V6Y 1952 metal tubes. Holy cow is all I can say, spectacular audio. I was previously using a Schiit Freya + in balanced mode (over twice the cost) which is also excellent. The Moreplay in single ended mode is dead silent and I am ecstatic about that fact.

My system is rounded out with Logitech Squeezebox Touch which streams my library of FLAC or DSD to a Topping E50 DAC. The DAC feeds the Moreplay which feeds the amp. Speakers are Klipsch RF-7II. The volume pot never goes past 10 o'clock and I am not going to bother padding it down. It works just fine. I use the E50 in DAC mode which outputs 100% volume but can switch it so that I can use the digital volume control if desired.

I am completely blown away by the Moreplay preamp. If anyone is on the fence, don't be. Grab this ASAP, it is awesome. The combination of top flight engineering and 70 year old metal tubes is nothing short of amazing. Thanks again BH team!

EDIT: I just replaced the stock 2.2uf caps with Mundorf M-Cap Supreme. It's even better now and should be really great after some hours. I have no plans for more upgrades, unless BH offers an upgrade kit.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 02:23:49 PM by Mucker »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 04:39:58 AM
Sweet!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline lms

Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 11:30:50 AM
That looks great! Luv how the tubes match.