Phillips head or slotted screws in Paramount kits?

kip.duff · 2005

Offline kip.duff

on: September 18, 2015, 02:57:18 PM
Never heard or have owned an SET amp.  Been running push-pulls forever (Cayin TA30 integrated, ARC Classic 30 hybrid, ARC VT100, '65 Fender Blackface Super Reverb guitar amp converted for EL34's)  Just ordered one of the last Paramount 1.1 kits (without power tubes).  Sounds like it will be a great introduction to SET's, and a fun kit (instructions look great). 

My system will be struggling with my 87 or 89db speakers, but I'll worry about that later.  Researching JBL, Fostex, and TangBand D4-1 if may be needed. Actually had a pair of Altec 604E's I bought at the Costa Mesa swap meet in 1971 for $150- don't know what I did with them- wish I had em now.  One had a torn speaker cone that I think I had fixed at Altec.  Built the box specked out by Altec- I think Altec were in Anaheim at the time, and they sent me the box instructions.  BASS up the wahzoo.... Bob Marley.....

Noticed in the instruction photos that slotted screws are used- is this still the case?  I may want to replace them with Phillips.

Also, I am assuming that the kits come without the 5670 driver tubes- correct?   

Thinking of Psvane or TJ for 300b's based on info in this thread.   How do you pronounce "Psvane"?!!

Was thinking of powdercoating the chassis plate.  What is the material?  Does it oxidize in time?

Thanks in advance, Kip...............

Dr. Feickert Blackbird II w Reed 2A tonearm and Lyra Skala cartridge.  Eros 2.  Audio Note DAC 2.1 Signature.  BeePre with BeeQuiet and Paramount 1.1 monoblocs into A7 VOTTs or Nagoaka folded horns.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 03:32:19 PM
Noticed in the instruction photos that slotted screws are used- is this still the case?  I may want to replace them with Phillips.
I believe they are all Philips screws now. 
Also, I am assuming that the kits come without the 5670 driver tubes- correct?   
The kit comes with 5670's.
How do you pronounce "Psvane"?!!
IIRC, it's a misspelling and should be Pavane.  (Buy the TJ's)
Was thinking of powdercoating the chassis plate.  What is the material?  Does it oxidize in time?
It's aluminum.  It oxidizes immediately.  The oxide layer is not a factor in powder coating.  Parts that need to touch the bare metal on the chassis, however, are a factor when powder coating.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline kip.duff

Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 02:28:41 PM
Paul:

Thanks much for response.  So: after 5, ten, or 20 years, does the aluminum plate still look OK?  It seems to me thjis is an aluminum alloy that doesn't oxidize to bad.

Grainger:

I've done a lot of soldering: among other projects, an Audio Asylum friend in Austrailia gave me a Spice diagram for a moving coil phono stage he had designed, based on 3 6C45P tubes and a step up transformer.  I built it from scratch- and I also built the remote power supply for it from some other diagrams I found.  Fired up first time.  Being a career mechanic, I can build and solder pretty well (given a concise diagram)- and troubleshoot audio a little.  But I have a lot to learn about the Paramount and SET design concepts (and audio electronics in general).  "Camille Cascode Constant Current Source, actively loaded hybrid shunt regulator for the voltage amplifier, output is via a high quality parallel feed coupling capacitor and custom Bottlehead parallel feed output transformer, cathode bias"- will try to learn what these mean as I do the build.  Don't think it would be necessary for the assembly- just would be nice.  I've already made good progress looking at the diagrams.

Thanks much for tips on the powder coating.  I guess I'll be ordering the tubes online, so I won't have to say: "I want the Pissvanes".

I'm enjoying the project already............

Dr. Feickert Blackbird II w Reed 2A tonearm and Lyra Skala cartridge.  Eros 2.  Audio Note DAC 2.1 Signature.  BeePre with BeeQuiet and Paramount 1.1 monoblocs into A7 VOTTs or Nagoaka folded horns.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 03:55:33 PM
So: after 5, ten, or 20 years, does the aluminum plate still look OK?  It seems to me thjis is an aluminum alloy that doesn't oxidize to bad.

The plate will be as oxidized when you remove it from the package as it will ever get. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man