Built my first headphone amp, Crack.

iwluis · 1327

Offline iwluis

on: October 25, 2014, 01:07:22 PM
Hello everyone,

Built my first headphone amp, I had a Bravo Ocean before it died and I searched for a replacement and found the Crack. Im so happy I did. I built it really fast, direction were just impressive to say the least, I only found 1 typo, wow. Also I was missing a solder tab for the ground, got a locking washer instead, Lucky. Mrs. Queen took care of that, pronto. Got it in the mail solder it in place and bang it's just awesome even with my modded T50RP's WOW! Can't wait to get my Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm in the mail. Thanks Bottlehead teamfor such an amazing amp.

Luis
p.s. I did screwed up, the badge is not centered, oh well.

Edit: 05/17/2015
Have been enjoying this awesome amp, modified the box with the help of a friend, she did amazing work. I have tube rolled, I have enjoyed it with (12AU7) RCA (included in the kit), Re-Issue GoldLion ECC82, Mullard CV4003, Cifte, Tesla EC802S. All have been amazing but the Mullard is very special. 6080 (Chatham I think)included in the kit, it died rather quickly)) it was ok, I got a couple of 6H13C from Russia and a Tung-Sol 7236 both tubes are unblievable. Overall I'm barely getting the bug to add the speedball upgrade. The amp is just awesome. Again Bottlehead You guys are the best thank you.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 05:22:58 PM by iwluis »

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Congrats I like the colour, are you using the ps1 in the pic as a source?

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline iwluis

Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 02:21:11 PM
Yes, the best cd player I own.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 02:37:04 PM
I've read its actually supposed to be a pretty good transport, there are well documented mods to get a SPDIF signal out of them.

M.McCandless

Offline iwluis

Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 05:29:23 PM
Yes, but that's how I broke my Bravo Ocean =). I'll just leave it. Plus it sounds way too good as is.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 05:48:12 PM
Yes, but that's how I broke my Bravo Ocean =). I'll just leave it. Plus it sounds way too good as is.

I wouldn't consider that any great loss, besides you now have a proper amplifier :P

M.McCandless

Offline iwluis

Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 06:01:37 PM
That is true, I still can't believe how awesome this amp is. But I think I'll walk that path once I get a proper dac =)

Offline hwaitung

Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 09:22:57 PM
That is true, I still can't believe how awesome this amp is. But I think I'll walk that path once I get a proper dac =)
Bottlehead DAC comes to my mind...

Offline iwluis

Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 04:47:22 AM
That is true. Just got to let the stars align and to see if it won't look too daunting to built.

Offline iwluis

Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 05:37:49 AM
Never mind, just read the details of the BH dac and it's not a kit. Way out of my budget. For now.