Crack - sound slightly off center

rjkirkham · 1121

Offline rjkirkham

on: June 18, 2017, 09:10:15 AM
Love my Crack so much I bought a Mayflower O2/ODAC Rev B. to improve on my MacBook Pro DAC and also give me a solid state amp option.  Switching back and forth between the 2 amps, I notice that the sound seems to be centered on the O2 and skewed ever so slightly to the right side on the Crack.  Headphones directly into my MB Pro also produce centered sound like the O2. 

- MB Pro=>ODAC=>Crack=>Monolith M1060s: sound is slightly skewed to the right
- MB Pro=>O2/ODAC amp=>Monolith M1060s: sound is centered
- MB Pro=>Monolith M1060s: sound is centered

The difference is subtle but noticeable.  Anyone else experience this or have any ideas about what I'm experiencing?  Is it possible there is something off with my Crack?  Or maybe my ears - LOL? All voltage and resistance checks came out fine, and I only noticed this issue when switching back and forth.

Offline borism

Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 02:49:21 PM
My understanding is that potentiometers like the one in the crack kit are not always perfectly balanced in their lower range. There is a mod people sometimes make to get into the mid-range of the pot.
An alternative is replacing the original pot with something like an Alps or even a stepped attenuator.

Boris

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 05:00:58 AM

Offline Karl5150

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 02:37:59 AM
Another option is to drill a hole in the panel and add a single level pot to run dual-mono volume control. Although your situation sounds different, mine is head shape/hearing related and it was a pretty easy fix.

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline rjkirkham

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 05:07:08 PM
Thanks for the replies.  Sounds like I have another project or 2 to keep me busy!