inexpensive e-bay attenuators?

TonyMc · 4786

Offline TonyMc

on: August 24, 2011, 05:08:46 AM
Anyone here ever use one? I see there is a unit that uses Dale/Vishay resistors(real/fake?). They're cheap enough to experiment with so I'm thinking of picking one up to try in the Crack or are they a waste of time and money?

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 04:29:47 PM
Are you referring to those DACT type 21 attenuators for $12?  I say we all draw straws and figure out who tests them out first.  I'd be willing to check 'em out.  Surely I can find a use for them somewhere.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline mrarroyo

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:18:47 AM
I bought one for about $15 delivered and have been using it on a HLLY SMKII for a few months now. It has worked fine and IMO it is better than the Alps pot that was originally installed. Enclosed is a picture of the installed inexpensive pot.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/C7Q6qmaPpi0PqvGi6gnmAw?feat=directlink

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 12:29:58 PM
I've had these installed in my SEX and Crack amps for months, and for the money, they are great! Channel balance is of course improved, and the notched action is pretty smooth, though the scale appears to be different than the stock pots (in that more of the control is allocated to the lower end of the gain curve, and they get loud pretty quickly after that). In terms of sound, there was a very pronounced "veil lifting," so much so that my former preferences for tube combos in my Crack had to be revisited. I think the attentuators made as much of a difference in sound as changing the output capacitors, which is totally opposite of what I was expecting.  

The $12 "DACT style" deals are a bit finicky to install, as they are much shorter and smaller than the stock pots, and there are no solder tabs, just holes and solder pads on the little PCBs. This meant that I had to put some electrical tape on the plate immediately underneath the attentuators, to avoid the solder joints from shorting to the chassis. If you can live with the compromises, these are very nice for such little dough.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that the secondary hole for the "key" that prevents the pot from rotating when the dial is turned is not compatible with the stock hole on the SEX/Crack plate. A tiny hole must therefore be drilled in the plate, somewhere between the two pre-drilled holes for the stock pot, in order to use the cheap DACT ripoff attenuators.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:06:55 PM by Dr. Toobz »

Offline mrarroyo

Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 12:20:34 AM
Yes, I have used those as well. Not bad for the money either.

Offline John Roman

Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 12:27:28 AM
How do these compare to Gold points?  They are on a increasingly long list.
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 05:35:12 AM
The critical question is, what is the switch? Who made it, is it full quality (not a factory second"), etc. The resistors will affect the sound, but it's the switch that determines reliability and lifetime. That's especially important for a level control which will be rotated may thousands of times.

Paul Joppa

Offline Laudanum

Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 07:41:36 AM
I have one, just like in your first photo.  I believe with Xicon resistors.  Looks like the same exact switch too.   I purchased it with intent on using it in Crack.  I didnt for two reasons.  First, I felt that for a headphone amp it would be better to use a rotary because of the inifinte adjustability.  Second was for the exact reason Paul mentioned.  After doing some reading it became quickly evdient that the switch is probably more important than the resistors used.  Both in terms of longevity as well as sound.  It measures fine channel balance wise and is fairly smooth but it obviously isnt a top end switch.  But it doesnt look or feel like junk either.   One day I'm sure I'll solder it in. 

I would say that if you want to try a stepped attenuator, for the price you dont have much to lose.  I have read mixed reviews about the "steps" but I think that would be dependant on several different things.
Sorry I cant give an actual user review.

Desmond G.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 08:55:42 AM
Want to lose your mind?  Buy a volume and balance controls.  Then try to get it straight in your brain how the balance works. 

Why do I say this???  Well I have installed two balance controls in my life and both caused great consternation. 

Offline elcraigo

Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 11:47:51 AM
Well I have installed two balance controls in my life and both caused great consternation. 
I hear ya man. I'm much better using my left eye for the left volume and the right eye for the right volume knob.

Craig Lewis (elcraigo is a nickname a good friend who grew up in Mexico gave me)