sine and square wave generator

howardnair · 1860

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 09:26:27 AM
I think those prices are nuts. I would be inclined to look for vintage HP stuff, or Krohn-Hite, or General Radio, etc. or just buy a new generator from someone like MCM.

Up until a couple weeks ago I would have recommended just using a netbook and some generator software. But we tried to look at square waves from that rig on the Smack kit to determine the best size for the parafeed coupling cap and the square waves were so distorted that at first I thought the amp was broken. When we plugged the netbook output directly into the oscope and the waveform looked equally bad.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline howardnair

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:48:57 AM
more like this??--http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-455A&t=1

or this http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-505&t=1

the used ones come with no cables/test probes etc -these do- one is battery operated and the other is 120/240 and probably a more sustainable unit

Offline JC

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 09:50:04 AM
Wow, I would have thought that the square wave would have been the easy one for a computer.

I agree with your suggestion to just get something out of MCM or another catalog.  I got mine that way; I think it was from Korea. It generates sine, triangle, and square waves, and has a coarse attenuator delineated in dB's.  Something like $100.

Don't get me wrong, I love vintage gear.  But, it's hard to justify sometimes, unless it is a garage sale bargain, and those days are largely in the dim mists of the pre-Ebay era of our culture in my experience.

Jim C.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 05:41:55 PM
I have a modern <$100 unit I got from ether Parts express or MCM, I forget. works fine for the hobbyist...John 

John S.