pcb vise

John Roman · 2272

Offline John Roman

on: March 03, 2011, 07:48:36 AM
I've always just made do with whatever I had but my dexterity ain't what it used to be, along with several other functions. So what do you folks suggest as a good all around vise tool to hold stuff for soldering and inspection?
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline pro_crip

Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 08:16:56 AM
I've just used this http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MZ101. It's big enough for BH boards and it's got a magnifying glass. Thanks for listening.

Rich

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up

Offline Yoder

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 07:01:17 PM
I bought a PanaVise with a vacuum base a couple of months ago and love it. They also make a head for PCBs, but the regular head works great for most PCBs. Best of all they are made in the USA. http://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&id1=1&startat=1&--woSECTIONSdatarq=1&--SECTIONSword=ww The base runs around $30 as do most of the heads...a very flexible tool.

I gave up on the Helping Hands with PCBs for several reason: balance, don't like the idea of the sharp alligator clips cutting into the PCB, the arms are not too stable, ad nauseum. Hell, they are cheap pieces of crap made in China...need I say more.

Offline John Roman

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 06:02:47 AM
Hey Yoder,
"Made in America" used to be ubiquitous. Now you have to really search for it, sad state of affairs we've put ourselves in. Thanks for the tip about
Panavise.
best regards, John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Yoder

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 10:44:39 AM
If you go with the Panavise, then get the vacuum base. It is great in that you can use it almost anywhere. I slap it on the table next to me and braid cable while watching Star Trek re-runs--not advised when 7-of-9 is on the big screen.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 04:54:00 AM
Another vote for the pana-vise, though I use the heavy base with the small compartments in it -- great place to put all the little hardware and components that one typically has when building electronics.  I also have the pc card holder but can't remember the last time I used it.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)