Music Streamer 2 and AQVOC driver

John Roman · 3750

Offline John Roman

on: March 10, 2011, 05:58:35 AM
Hello,
Just received my HRT music streamer 2 yesterday and Am interested in trying the AQVOC driver with it. I've tried to install it a few times and each time it comes up "timeout error" and I can't complete the install. I'm using Foobar 2000 v 1.1.5  with Music Streamer 2 selected as the output device. I was using JRiver 15 but couldn't get it to play. Maybe I should revisit JRiver and recheck the settings. Any ideas? BTW got the soft start installed on my Paramounts without issue, thanks Doc!
best regards, John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 06:16:58 AM
John,

I was never able to get the aqvox driver to work with my HRT MSII+ with foobar either.  The AQvox driver doesn't work with all dacs and receiver chip implementations, that's why they strongly suggest you download and try the demo before buying it.

In general I think this driver, by its nature will be problematic with async dacs, but that's just a guess.

You might drop Kevin Halverson at HRT a note to see if he knows any more about this.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline John Roman

Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:50:22 AM
Hi Jim,
I'll see if Kevin has something to add. What driver are you using?  I don't have the plus version so that may make a difference. I'll post a follow up. Thanks for the post!
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:04:47 AM
John,

I don't think the plus version will make any difference in this case as it is a matter of the receiver chip config that is most likely the issue.  I am actually not using windows for a music computer anymore -- either my mac mini or a dedicated, single-board linux box, and the HRT works without issue on either.

Note, if you are using Win 7 or vista, check with Kevin about your firmware version.  If the MS2 is new it will most likely have firmware 1.5 which works great with XP, linux and OSX, but seems to have problems with WASAPI under the newer windows operating systems, and you may have to roll back to firmware 1.4 if that is the case. 1.5 was a patch to correct some problems with playback of 24/88 files under OSX.  There are utilities on the HRT web site that will tell you what firmware version you have, but check with HRT first as if you don't do the patch right you can mess things up.

HTH,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline John Roman

Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:14:59 PM
Jim,
Got a reply from John Johnsen at HRT, his response:
"as to driver issues, it is up to the USB hardware and software manufacture to rectify - too many variables in the Win environment and their protocols/implementations are beyond our support resources". Not much help really. I'll rummage around the HRT site and at least see what firmware version I have.
Thanks,
John

Regards,
John

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 01:49:56 PM
John,

I agree and think he's right.  I didn't think HRT could fix this, just thought they might have tested it themselves and could give you a definitive answer.  I'm sure AQVox could fix this if the had a streamer and the incentive to do it.

-- Jim