Mac Mini choices

johnsonad · 3611

Offline johnsonad

on: March 16, 2012, 05:58:42 PM
All of the traffic here has got me interested in a Mac Mini for my system but not limited to music.  Currently I have a windows machine and an external server with 4Tb of storage streaming to a Slim Devices Transporter for music and a PS3 for video.  It works but takes forever to boot the system and I don't leave it on due to the amount of power it consumes let alone the noise of all of those fans....  I invision a Mac Mini in my system with external hard drives connected via Thunderbolt.  It would be run headless from my iPad and connect into my current stereo and work with the PS3.  If would be cool if I could use my TV as a monitor for those times you need a computer.

My questions are specific to which Mini to purchase and how to set it up.  I'm not looking for the PERFECT music machine but one that works well and can stream to my Transporter.  Ideally it would have a SSD primary hard drive for the OS and core programs.  All media would be stored on external drives.  With these goals in mind, is there any reason I wouldn't want to purchase one of the 2012 machines with the i5 or i7 processor?  Any suggestions on programs or hardware to meet my goals?

Thanks,

Aaron

Aaron Johnson

Offline Yoder

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 01:45:24 PM
If you want to do stuff other than music then you should go for an i7 CPU. Personally, I would wait until Apple refreshes everything. The iMac, Mac mini, MBP, and Mac Pro's are all either at the end of the cycle or approaching it. You can keep up with all of it at: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ Now that the iPad had its big party, the rest of the products will get their turn.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 02:03:27 PM
Thanks!  I'll keep an eye out for the new units.  The i7 is a pretty impressive processor even in current form. 

Aaron Johnson