Failed voltage check, some LEDs not lighting up, tube no longer lighting up

Shackney1127 · 3272

Offline Shackney1127

Resistance checks passed. A side LEDs of shunt regulator board no longer light up. Tube B doesn't light up. Here are my voltage readings:
1A: 218v
1B: 255v
OA: 164v
OB: 146v
OC: 96 V
OD: 141 v
OkA: 95 v
OkB: 138 v
OkC: 1.7 mv
OkD : 0.98 v

I can supply pictures if needed.

Thanks,
Stephen

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
If the tubes don't light up, nothing in the high DC voltage section and C4S board is going to work properly.

The tubes glow from the shielded twisted pairs of wire that feed pins 4/5 on the front two sockets and pins 4/5/9 on the D socket.  I'm guessing by your voltages that the 12AU7 is still glowing, are the rest dark?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Shackney1127

Only the left EF86 tube isn't lighting up. I'll check the wiring when I get home. It lit up before, so I'm not sure what could have happened.

Offline Shackney1127

One of the issues might be one of the tubes. I examined the wiring and found nothing wrong. I decided to switch the EF86s around. Sure enough, one tube lights up regardless of which socket I put it in, and the other doesn't. Both always get warm, so that tells me both sockets are getting power, right?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Yes, you may have a tube with pins that need a tiny bit of extra cleaning.  This doesn't necessarily indicate a bad EF86.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Shackney1127

Cleaned both the pins. Same result. You can't even see it lit up in this picture. One lights up at the very bottom, the other not at all. Both get warm.

Offline Shackney1127

Some other pictures.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
See how the top of the left EF86 is white instead of silver? Left EF86 is cracked and the getter is shot. Replace it.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Shackney1127

Replaced the offending tube. Readings are as follows:
1A - 239v,
1B, 279 v
Oa, 161 v
OB 163 v
OC 95 V
OD 94 V
OKA: 94 V
OKB: 94 V
OKC: 0.95v
OkD: 0 85v

Offline Shackney1127

All tubes now glow.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Now you will need to do some investigating regarding why the regulator board above the 12AU7 socket is no longer working.  Can you post the IA, IB, OA, OB, KregA, and KregB voltages on that board?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Shackney1127

Readings are as follows:

1A: 286v
1B: 286v
OA: 283v
OB: 238V
KregA: 1.2 v
KregB: 8v

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Well there are issues on both sides of the C4S regulator board above the D socket, as one side has enough regulator voltage to work and the other side seems to be saturated and not regulating.  Weird results like this are something I've run into when I have swapped wires leaving that board going to the tube socket (swapping the Kreg leads would likely cause this exact issue).

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Shackney1127

Unscrewed thldere board. The white wire attached to C8 had been knocked out. I resoldered it. Powered it on. The LEDs on the A side of the board turned on, so I started to do voltage checks only to notice the LEDs had cut back off. Here are pictures.

Offline Shackney1127

Any advice? Thinking of completely replacing the wire pictured. Do I just need to send it in to fix my mistakes? Just want to know what my forward path is with this project.

Thanks,
Stephen