Scratchy sound on a loud musical transients in some vinyls

Giorgos · 3050

Offline Giorgos

Hello all!

I've heard 35 hours in 3 weeks since running Eros.
From the first moment of the operation so far has the following problem and only in certain vinyls!
It does not show signs of improvements with them. A hearing is prohibitive . Unlike those who do not have a problem!
I 've Scratchy sound on a loud musical transients in some vinyls.
The problem only occurs on the left audio channel .
I did switch / Tramba several times the ef 86 as well put and took out all the valves from their base but absolutely no change in the result.
For the record to say that eros tied in well with the arc vsi55 while the effect is beyond the expected ... when we say live music is meant : Where goes the music? when not playing anymore?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts/answers on this problem.
I hope it is something that has a solution .

Sincirely
George Amanatidis

Ortofon 2Mred - Alphason Opal - Systemdeck IIX - Eros Bottlehead - audio research vsi55 - Fostex double bass reflex enclosure 83nv fullrange; speakers.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 04:06:01 AM
What cartridge are you using with the Eros?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Giorgos

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 04:14:25 AM
Ortofon 2M red cartdrige and Harbeth hl 7 speakers

Thank you
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:17:33 AM by Giorgos »

Ortofon 2Mred - Alphason Opal - Systemdeck IIX - Eros Bottlehead - audio research vsi55 - Fostex double bass reflex enclosure 83nv fullrange; speakers.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 04:44:53 AM
Either your cartridge is mis-tracking or the records were previously played with a mis-tracking cartridge that damaged the grooves. Loud passages push more energy into the stylus, which can then bounce around the groove, causing audible damage. Since it is in one channel, the most likely area of adjustment to the problem is anti-skate, but all are important. Always remember that low tracking force is worse than high tracking force (never go below the manufacturer's recommendation, but a bit over is generally fine).

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 05:26:48 AM
So if you switch cables from the tonearm to the Eros the noise stays in the left channel? Or does the noise move with the cable?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Giorgos

Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 06:37:51 AM
I have Alphason Opal arm in a Systemdeck player I checked in a tracking force is okay and a little heavier than that proposed.
But... I changed the wires from the arm to the Eros and the problem remains in the left channel and now hear sound skratsy lower intensity but real and in the right channel. (fff...)
Frustration ...I did not expect ..

Offline Giorgos

Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 07:20:30 AM

First of all i want a thank you  for the help you offer.

Very likely to have widespread problems and also in the cable arm (terminals switchcraft RCA).
Luckily I have the time so already downloaded the turntable and move to extensive scrutiny.

I'll update you on ..

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 07:36:46 AM
Hmmm, not moving with the cables is interesting, but since you're hearing it in both chanels, I'm not convinced it's the Eros.

Have you put your previous phono stage back in to see if you're hearing the same problem? How many records is this happening on?

Groove damage is caused by poor setup, and it is permanent. If the record was damaged on a previous play (by a previous owner, earlier cartridge, dirty stylus, earlier cartridge setup, et cetera), you will still hear it on a perfectly configured table. Proper tracking force is only one issue. Anti-skate will have a major influence here, as will overhang/alignment. VTA comes into play a bit here, since you have an elliptical stylus. Dirt on the stylus can also cause this kind of problem. I shouldn't expect that your issue is azimuth related, but in the dark art of cartridge alignment, nothing should be overlooked.

The big issue here, since you say it is only on some records, is how much is this really even a problem? If your current setup is damaging records, fix that pronto. If it is a few used records you bought, and only in relatively extreme cases (i.e. loud levels on inner grooves), just listen to other records and move on.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 07:38:29 AM by fullheadofnothing »

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 08:47:35 AM
OK, you may have two different things happening. The noise that moved with the cables is from the turntable and is probably as Josh has described. The part of the noise that did not move when you switched cables - that noise that happens at transient peaks - is possibly in the Eros. It may be that the 6922 tube is distorting when the fairly high output level of the Ortofon drives it into clipping. It may be helpful if you could measure the voltages on the PC boards that are under sockets A and B, as shown on page 77 and 78 in the manual.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Giorgos

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 12:13:56 PM
I did thoroughly examining the turntable, arm, cartridge and all cables as connectors.
No problem at all.
The cartridge has a few hours (100-200) of play and only (3-4) years (11/2010) of being installed. Because the preamplifier was from the old stereo and not coping well
with the current integrated (vsi55 arc).

Then I put again the old preamplifier QED Discsaver (Battery 9Vdc power) TYPE DS-1
but had very poor performance with this setup it is only 29 (dB) decibel gain when I discovered that! Τhere was this sound skratsy apparently the left channel and maybe the right but I can hear something.
It was difficult when I was listening to the old stereo and Sonneteer (alabaster) integrated. I am very happy now under the “bright areas of eros” anyway.
I agree with Josh. I remembered when I was installing the cartridge. Settings without choice because awkward relationship between alphasoon opal/2Mred, a little more weight detection imposes.

Measurements:
sockets A: Kreg=1,837vdc      sockets B: Kreg=1,480vdc
                   breg=101vdc                              breg=101vdc
                      OB=99                                        OB=99
                      OA=158                                      OA=159
                       bA=0                                          bA=0
                        IA=222                                       IA=222

Thank you!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 12:33:35 PM
Those voltages look excellent, and it appears that your Eros is performing as designed.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Giorgos

Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 01:16:10 PM

With all the new music vinyl no problem.
The minor problem is actually with comparatively few record discs and certainly is overdriving eros (6922). The 2M red have 5,5mv output so...
In time i'll have my mind to replace the red with the previous very well adapted to the arm cartridge (Goldring Eroica 2,5mv HOMC).
So my question is resolved. :D :D
Thank you all from my heart.
You have the most down to earth human audio enterprise and certainly  full of pleasant future successes.

Sincerely
George Amanatidis
Graphic Designer

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 02:41:32 PM
George,

The Eros is the most revealing phono stage I have ever owned.  Sadly it will show all the "warts" that are on an album. 

I bought an English pressing of The Pentangle's first LP.  It was unlistenable because it had been mistracked by the owner's cartridge.  My previous phono stage might not have revealed this as clearly. 

But it also reveals all the nuances that are there.

The Bottlehead community will suss out the source of your problem. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 01:34:10 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 06:12:25 PM
With all the new music vinyl no problem.

If fresh records don't cause the issue, then you most likely have some worn records in the collection. 

This does not sound like an issue of over-driving the 6922.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Giorgos

Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 07:41:50 AM
Good afternoon .
First to say : By ' Eros ' gained a rugged precision instrument on from here to my musical excursions.

At the hearing, among other things, certainly shows me the most damaged regords.
But there are several damaged records that do not show the problem while showing the deterioration in quality now...
Bought always brand new one (apart from a few who recognize ) from 1985 to now.
I hope that i will find the edge that I can hear (in Eros quality level ) all my discs with signs of wear without prohibitive. Why do I say this?
In particular two discs ( from "Rumors / The chain" - "Aretha Fr. / Solitude") heard the same track several times. The scratchy does not always present exactly the same. If we focus and zoom in the "acoustic lens" that I see: I have scratchy on transitional strongly but especially there underneath something he wants to do pop! That along with the scratchy hear like little pop but I never make A big POP. (What a shame! )
My view is that I do not have overdrive in 6922 but likely to valve failure.
I'm thinking to change: the 6922 or Red;

thank you all
yours
George
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:46:17 AM by Giorgos »