Shunt Regulation and Chokes in the PS

galyons · 1174

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
on: April 29, 2015, 10:17:38 AM
Over the past few years I have transitioned my main system from "old" BH kit to "new" BH kit.  The, IMO, major difference is shunt regulated power supplies.

FP1=> FP2 => FP3EXT => Smash w/Up
Paramours => Paramount V1.0 => Paramount V.1.1
Seduction Phono => Eros Phono
Seduction Tape => Eros Tape

In all of my early kit I added the "default" C7x choke, resulting in cleaner B+ and the inherent sonic benefits. I have not done so on the new kit. I understand that the B+ shunt regulation provides additional PS filtering.  So, looking for input from our great designers and Bottlehead's who have added chokes to new kit B+ PS. 

Is adding the PS choke only providing marginalized improvements with the newish shunt regulation? Is the investment in time, "real estate" allocation and cost still a good value in terms of sonic improvements? 

What has been anyone's experience?

I am usually a 'try it and listen" guy, but adding chokes to the newer products is definitely not as simple as the old!  Would really appreciate thoughts, experiences and a "reality check"  from our vault of knowledge.

Cheers,
Geary
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:51:38 AM by galyons »

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's