Fuse calculations for balanced power?

Jim R. · 3338

4krow

Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 08:53:38 AM
  Just when I thought all power was created equal!  Ok, THAT explains a lot. I did not realize that a lot of the overseas power was made this way. That explains that when I was recently in the Philippines, I saw a power(secondary power) swinging close to the ground. As I looked at, I only saw ONE conductor that was insulated. I was worried that the other conductor, was also hot, and uninsulated! Now, it makes sense that it was not insulated. Again, thanks. I like to learn about these things and have had an interest in BASIC power, both AC and DC since I was young.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 12:27:19 PM
Greg,

As said in the first reply, the Volt-Ampere product of the primary is equal to the Volt-Ampere product of the secondary.  So if the volts are cut in half the current capability is doubled.  In this case the primary and secondary are the same voltage, therefore they both have to have the same current capability.  It doesn't matter where the ground reference is.

Rif,

According to the NEC you have to current protect all ungrounded current carrying conductors.  Since the ground is between the two 60V secondaries it is required to fuse both legs feeding the load.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 02:35:37 PM by Grainger49 »

4krow

Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 12:53:16 PM
  Grainger,

Thank you. Let me digest this for a bit. Like I said before, just when you think that you might have a handle on things, etc.