Maximum input voltage for Seduction

sl-15 · 3289

Offline sl-15

Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 06:51:02 AM
The Scope goes down to 2mV/Div and the Cal knobs are in the right position. I think using such a huge amplification on the scope shows a lot of the noise thats on the 1 kHz signal too. So all I see is a fuzzy distorted waveform in the beggining, but once the signal strength goes up to about -50 dB it starts to smooth out on the scope.  It might be that the signal is not that great or that it is simply too silent. Or my scope is not that great at these settings.
Next up will be the Foreplay and then the Sex monoblocks.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 06:56:46 AM
At 2mV/Div. you should have in excess of 4 divisions of signal.  You might try just feeding your source directly into the scope. 

You could be picking up noise from unshielded connections too.

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 07:16:35 AM
I'm back from vacation, and slowly starting to look at old posts. Here's some math:

RMS is peak-ro-peak times 0.35, or peak-to-peak over (2 * root 2) which is also peak voltage times 0.7 or peak over (root 2). 0.49 volts peak to peak is thus 0.17v rms.

dB gain is 20 times the base-10 log of the voltage ratio. The 1kHz gain of Seduction is approximately 40dB, which means the output is 100 times the input.

100 times 0.17v rms is 17 volts rms, and Seduction can put out that much before distortion sets in.

Paul Joppa

Offline sl-15

Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 07:23:49 AM
Thanks Paul for clearing up the math.
Grainger, I forgot to mention that I was feeding the signal directly into the scope in the scenario of my last post. I have to figure out a way how I can feed the signal into the Scope without the cable to see if the cable I am using is responsible for the noisy signal.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa